We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wire transfer payments

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
wire transfer payments

Our tour operator, One Stop Myanmar, claims the embargo on wire transfers from the US to Myanmar has been lifted. Is this correct? Last time we tried to wire $$ to a Myanmar tour operator's bank account in Singapore, my husband naively mentioned it was for payment of a Myanmar tour. That's when it all came to complete stop and we were politely told by our bank that was illegal. That was in February of this year, however. Lots has been going on since then and I'm hoping things have changed. Can anyone elaborate on this? In the meantime, I will do the transfer of funds this time and, since it's going to a Singapore based bank, I'll try to keep the funds' actual destination out of the conversation.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wire transfer payments

It may have been lifted but the message has not gone through as many agents are still asking for deposits to go through Singapore or Bangkok.

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wire transfer payments

Silverswimmer... For US citizens, I don't think it is as much an issue of the tour agencies wanting the money to go through Singapore or Bangkok, but rather an issue of the US banks having kittens at the mention of Myanmar. Since I don't relish the idea of traveling with US 5,000 in cash for almost two months prior to our arrival in Yangon, I am hoping it'll all go smoothly today. It should.... as long as I can get my hubby to shush and not feel the need to share with everyone that we are going to Myanmar! I'll post here as soon as we have done it.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wire transfer payments

Looking forward to the result

SS

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wire transfer payments

Well... it didn't go so good with the first bank. They said they were aware that the sanctions had been lifted, but preferred being conservative in their dealings with Myanmar. So, on to another bank we deal with and hope this one is not so "conservative"! Will keep in touch.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wire transfer payments

I deposited $US into a Singapore bank for a Myanmar agent today.... from Australia.

You should check your online banking. I have two different bank accounts in Australia and both of them allow me to transfer to foreign banks online (for a fee of course!)

Yangon (Rangoon...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: wire transfer payments

I would like to suggest you not to mention country name & agent name in form when you transfer the money. Just fill the bank account details out. I hope it will help.

malaysia, kota...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wire transfer payments

ohnmar2013 bank not allow they must ask to fill up the nationality I still can't transfer fund to my tour agent which his account in Bangkok. Any black and White the embargo on wire transfers from the US to Myanmar has been lifted?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wire transfer payments

Or if everything fails-tell your Agent they will have to expect payment in $bills on arrival such as some other agents accept,including Onestop

SS

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wire transfer payments

Update: still no luck! We have completed the forms for one of the banks we deal with and are hopeful that their compliance department will be agreeable. If that doesn't work, we'll have to take cash.

Bottom line: yes, the sanctions have been lifted, but US banks are very slow to react so this may be the case for another few months.

onhmmar2013.... no way you can leave out the name of the recipient or beneficiary or even fake one on the request for a wire transfer in the US. Remember how some people got their money to finance 9/11? We are sort of skittish since then.

wandering_ozzie.... you gave me an idea. I have a brother living in Melbourne. I could transfer $$ to him and he could send the payment to the tour agent. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wire transfer payments

That's great.

Typing it yourself into your online banking would have been so much easier and cheaper though. What a shame.

Hope it all works out