We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local travel agency or US/UK based?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
193 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Local travel agency or US/UK based?

Working w/ a local agency that is well liked on this forum and a US based agency also highly regarded. What are the advantages and disadvantages for booking with either?

Thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local travel agency or US/UK based?

You will get much better rates and first-hand information using a Yangon-based agency.Replies may not be as speedy as a US-based company but I would choose the Yangon-based agency hands down.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local travel agency or US/UK based?

Price.

I last compared an identical 10 night itinerary (same dates/hotels/flights) with prices quoted by Onestop Travel in Myanmar and Audley Travel,one of the well respected UK Agents.

Onestop was 17 % cheaper so obviously the difference is the foreign agents markup. (I think 15% is an International standard??)

I even asked Audley to price my Thai flights LHR/BKK/RGN and their quote was £320 more Business return compared to booking on-line with the airline.

Some travellers want their hand holding from the initial enquiy to leaving their front door but if a tourist in confident to fly internationally I can see no reason to pay loads extra to deal locally.

hope this helps,just my pennies worth

SS

3. Re: Local travel agency or US/UK based?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:18