We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pay in dollars

bristol uk
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Topic
pay in dollars

Hi, i know about the condition of the dollars ect needed,but is it mainly hotel/guest houses, domestic flights,pagodas,town entrance fees like Bagan,Inle Lake,Mandalay that needed to be paid in dollars.Then food,beers,nite and day buses,tuk-tuks,train tickets in local kyats.

Level Contributor
568 posts
1,554 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pay in dollars

Basically, yes, but I've found that just about anywhere catering to tourists will accept either. For instances, hotels might quote room rates in dollars but incidentals in kyats. If you want to pay everything in dollars or kyat, they convert at a usually reasonable rate. Tourist-oriented restaurants also do this. Government-run attractions don't always accept kyat and, when they do, they use a worse exchange rate. If you just allow enough USD for hotels, flights and entry fees, you could use kyat for everything else.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
851 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: pay in dollars

thanks for the advice,you,ve put my mind at ease

Hot Springs
Level Contributor
31 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pay in dollars

Could you clarify please? Entrance fees are usually in the $4.-5. range. Do I also need to carry small USD denominations and, if so, do they need to be in perfect condition as well??

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pay in dollars

ALL bills should be in good condition. If you give them a $10 bill and they try to give you back some shabby-looking $1 bills for change, refuse them, as nobody will accept them. Smaller denominations are best for entrance fees, I doubt they'd be able to make change for a $50.

I dine at little local restaurants and shop at local markets so I brought kyat with me. They did not want to accept my $(I tried!). If you are traveling to places a bit off the tourist trail, exchange $200 or so for kyat. I didn't use $ at all for my 4 days in Hpa An & Mawlyaimine.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pay in dollars

Entrance fee in all the places are asking with Myanmar kyats in Bagan , Mandalay , Inle lake and Yangon. 5000 kyats for 5 dollars and 10000 kyats for 10 dollars

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pay in dollars

I paid in dollars at Bagan airport for the $10 Tourist Zone fee, as well as in $ in Yangon at Shwedagon and Inle Lake, they were specifically asking for dollars, NOT kyat, but I'm sure they would accept that as well.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 22:46
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pay in dollars

Realistically, if I turn up at Yangon airport at the start of three weeks in Myanmar, with everything paid for:

What percentage of my US dollars should I exchange for kyats?.

If I was to run out of kyats during my trip, is it possible to obtain more kyats in Mandalay, Bagan, Inle?.

If guesthouses/hotels do not have security deposit boxes or room safes, how does one safely secure monies whilst travelling? Moneybelt? Hiding in locked luggage?.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pay in dollars

If you wil be on the usual tourist route and shopping/dining/stayign at places that cater to foreign tourists then you will be OK with US$. For incidentals such as bottled water, bowls of noodles, tipping ets you can exchange $100 or so at the airport. And yes, you can easily find places (banks) to exchange money in larger cities like Mandalay. Bagan and Inle, no. If you have a few hundred dollars in cash, just carry it on you but be careful with it. NEVER ever leave $ or valuables unattended, even in a locked suitcase.

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pay in dollars

Thanks for the advice

Coventry
Level Contributor
16 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pay in dollars

Hi,

The official money places at the airport give good rates and don't charge a fee so we converted some of our money on arrival in Yangon airport then some more in another airport somewhere (we went to so many).

Any tourist place will take dollars.

I have a vague recollection that larger notes attracted a better rate.

As for safes, we stayed in higher end hotels and they always had safes in the room which we made use of due to having to carry cash around. I never felt worried when we were carrying the money either, though usual precautions help e.g. not flashing it and keeping some smaller notes in a wallet for paying out of and the bulk hidden in a bag, preparing money in the room when you know you need to pay for a taxi or a tour.

Just found this on my blog....I must have written it lol

Money

US$ We took lots of little bills but didnt really tip using them as bags were rarely carried far and food was paid for in Chat. A few 5$, 10$ and 20$ to pay for things then 50$ and 100$ to exchange. Take more than you need as you cannot get money out there. We had a little box to keep the notes flat so had no problems with them. Every airport had exchange places and the rates seemed fine.