We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Withdrawing USD before arriving in Myanmar

Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Withdrawing USD before arriving in Myanmar

Hello all,

Me and my wife leave Hanoi tomorrow to Don Muang airport in Thailand, and after a few hour layover continue to Yangon.

After reading that we must have mint condition USD for Mynamar, we tried to withdraw in banks in Vietnam- but turns out that you cannot withdraw USD here (unless you withdraw Dong and then convert it back to USD- but that way we lose alot of money in the exchanges).

So we thought to withdraw some USD in Thailand- but we don't know if it is possible in Don Muang airport (I understand it is possible in the other airport- couldn't figure out if it's posslble in Don Muang).

If we cannot withdraw USD in bangkok- is it possible to withdraw in Yangon? From various posts I've seen around the net I understand that it might be possible to do this already...

We'd appreceate any feedback and help before we go... wouldn't want to get stuck in Myanmar without any money...

Thank you very much !!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Withdrawing USD before arriving in Myanmar

not sure if there is a $$ US ATM in Don Muang...maybe you have time to do a quick trip to the main airport..?

you cant withdraw $$ US with your C/card from ATMs in Myanmar, only the local Kyat currency.

2. Re: Withdrawing USD before arriving in Myanmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21