We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

Hello, hello!

My friend and I are planning to travel around SE Asia for the Chinese New Year holiday. We've already booked 10 days in Bali as a "reward" for running through some countries, but we're having a hard time narrowing it down. We're both female teachers, one of art, one of history, so we are really interested in art, culture, history, and food.

We've both been to Thailand and we cut out Laos for time constraints. I think we honestly only have 10-12 days before we need to be in KL for our flight to Bali. We definitely want to go to Cambodia for Angkor Wat & the Killing Fields, so the big question is: Myanmar or Vietnam?

Please take into account that we are lovers of art, culture, history, and food as well as expats living in China, so visas might be an issue. We know it's easy to get one for Vietnam from here, but not so sure about Myanmar... Any and all advice would be welcome.

Thanks!!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,294 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

Well since you are already living in China, I would go for Myanmar...it will be more of a "different" culture and atmosphere... but both countries are amazing. Also, you are closer to Vietnam so perhaps you can go to Vietnam another time...

Also, since you are going to Bali, hope to see your posts on the Bali TA forum too!

2. Re: 2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:37
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

I'd stay in Cambodia. You could easily spend 5 days seeing the temples and town, a couple days in Battambang, then head to Phnom Penh for more culture and history. I'd go to Myanmar if you could afford 2 weeks or more, it is a bit of a hassle getting a visa plus things are twice as expensive as Cambodia et al. Save it for another trip when you could see more of the country.

4. Re: 2 Americans living in Shanghai: Myanmar or Vietnam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18