We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

California
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

We will be going to Bagan, Inle Lake area (Nyaungeshwe) and Yangon in late December to early January. We may be taking a day hike from Nyaungshwe area. Do we need yellow fever Vac. and malaria pills? We are from the US and Canada.

TIA

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

Neither are necessary. To prevent contracting dengue &/or malaria, use a good bug repellent and try to wear long pants & long-sleeved shirts.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,591 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

It is always useful to use the search feature above,especially for posts on the same subject only weeks ago

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k6…

As always on these forums,if you are unsure then take professional medical advice.

Hope this helps.

SS

ps. I have always taken malarone when up country out of the dry season,November to April. On my last trip I only covered Yangon,Bagan And Ngapali Beach in January/February so I did not take the pills but always sprayed and covered up. Never had a Yellow fever injection,it is not a recommendation by the NHS in the UK,unless you are travelling to a country where it is prevalent-and Myanmar is not on that list.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 15:08
Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,114 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

As an aside, I do not know the criteria for blood donation at the Red Cross centers around the world, but I am a regular (monhtly) plasma donor here in Japan. For my first trip to sub-saharan Africa, I needed to take malaria pills. It is cereberal malaria that is prevalent there, a very serious matter, unlike the Southeast Asian variety. I was told that if I took a course of malarone, I would not be able to donate for 4 years. I decided on doxycycline, a common antibiotic, and I was fine and was able to donate shortly after the course finished. I have never taken anti-malarials for the 20+ years I have been traveling in Southeast Asia, but am very careful when it comes to prevention. Visitors must also be aware that dengue fever, another mosquito-borne disease, is equally as miserable and even more prevalent than Malaria in many parts of Myanmar. No drugs to prevent that, either. My friend got it while there several years ago, it will make your trip miserable. Wear bug spray and cover up.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 23:29
Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

YF vac is not required...numerous trips and the only places I have taken malaria tabs for is remote western areas in Chin State and Naga areas of Sagaing division.......as above, spray and cover....tho the only place I find mosquitos a pain is Nyaungshwe and is the only place I use spray....a chance you take...

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Is yellow fever vaccination and/or malaria pill needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:18