We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

United States
11 posts
Save Topic
Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

I am leaving in a week and have received a quote from my travel agent, which has gotten excellent reviews on Trip Advisor, for $120 USD per day for "an English speaking guide, Entrance Fees, A saloon car with A/C, Gasoline, Guide and Driver’s expenses, Road and bridge toll fees)." A few questions:

1. Is this the going / reasonable rate?

2. When going to restaurants, is it typical to pay for both the guide and driver at the same restaurant (I am assuming this is on top of the day fee, correct?)?

I have read that the english ability varies greatly so, because I will be in country for such a short amount of time, I want to be sure to have guides that have been pre-screened by my travel agent ahead of time.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

Hi there,

That sounds like a reasonable rate. You may find cheaper, but as you said, they may have a unreliable car or limited English. We had a driver for 4 nights/5days as well as others for day trips in Bagan and Mandalay. They would take us to a recommended restaurant, but then wonder off to leave us to it, while they had their meal somewhere else etc.. We did invite our driver to lunch and dinner a few times and happily paid for his meal, but he certainly didn't expect it and was a little embarrassed.

Hope this helps,

- K

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,653 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

1.Sounds about right,especially a/c and including guide/fees

2 Normally the driver will be looked after by the restaurant (you will find him at the back of the kitchens !) but I have always had the guide join us and paid for his food and drink.

I am sure everything will be fine and certainly the guides I have used over the years from reputable Agents have had excellent English.

Hope you have a great trip and I am sure we all look forward to your posts and reviews

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

That sound may right. But you should think,

Car fees may 80 USD. Guide fees may 20 USD if you hire junior one. Senior guide may guide more than.

I hope you must pay entrance fees and restaurant fees.

You will give meals to your guide and driver.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

Car fees may 80 USD. Guide fees may 20 USD if you hire junior one. Senior guide may guide more than.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

6. Re: Price for town car with A/C, driver & English speaking guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:18