We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Hello,

I did see a lot of country's in Asia , looking for my next destination and narrowed it down to Laos or Myanmar , like to go in March or April .

Witch of these 2 country's would have your preference and why .

Witch of these country,s is is most easy to travel ?

What would be good itinerary for these coutry's , im flying to Bangkok .

Thx Willem

Edited: 01 November 2013, 10:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Hi Willem,

Laos is far cheaper and easier to organise and travel around. Many gorgeous experiences too. But Myanmar is also amazing in a completely different way, and it is less developed. My personal opinion is to go to Myanmar before it gets even more touristy and you have enough budget, other wise Laos.

As far as itineraries, check out some trip reports and do some research about the types of things you want to see and do. My blog has some info and photos from my trip to Laos and some of our trip to Myanmar too.

Hope this helps,

- K kgbtravels.blogspot.com.au

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Hi thx , never thought that Myanmar would be more expensive than Laos , can you remember how much % it was ?

Bangkok is a good "hub" for Myanmar you think ?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Myanmar is ridiculously more expensive than Laos, but only in the past few years. My first visit there in 2010 it was dirt cheap. Instead of asking random people what their opinions are, why not do some research and see what interests you most in those countries, and then make your decision?

Oh, and it is fair to warn you that in March and April in both countries it is very very hot. Many people avoid those places at that time. (40~45 degrees C in Myanmar, up to 40 degrees C in Laos)

N S
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaungshwe
Level Contributor
620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Transportation,accommodation and others,

Laos will be cheaper.

But I prefer Myanmar,because I am Myanmar(Shan tribe).You can see many nature things.We.are living naturally.

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
832 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

My idea is 17days is just a perfect time to combine Laos and Myanmar. Take 7 days to visit Laos then spend 10days to explore the big 5 ( Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle Lake and Ngapali Beach)

If you prefer to experience one of two, I voted for Myanmar.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

If you're going through all the hassle of getting to Myanmar, you might as well spend the entire time there.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Yes , i,m going to or Myanmar or Laos , its just 17 days . like to stay a few days in some places , don't like the idea of traveling each day .

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Then park it in one or the other. Both places have amazing things to offer, and if you stay a few days in each city or town you will really be able to leisurely enjoy your trip.

Cannes, France
Level Contributor
401 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Haven't been to Myanmar yet but have been to Laos and honestly can't imagine that Laos for 17 days would be great. While we liked Laos, other places - Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, etc for us were much more interesting plus the food is better! We return again and again to those other countries but probably won't go back to Laos although it is lovely but just not as interesting to us. and as for the people, everyone all over Asia are wonderful and kind. Laos is pretty clean if that's important!!! and there are lots of monks and gilt wats. Frankly we found the accommodations in Laos overpriced compared to what you get elsewhere in Asia and the food uninteresting. The textiles are lovely but so are they in Thailand and cheaper. There's an Asian expression: The Vietnamese plant the rice, the Cambodians pick it and the Laotians watch it. At the place where we stayed in Luang Prabang, the owner said that a company hired some Vietnamese to build some boutique hotels (lots of building there) and the Laotians couldn't believe how quickly and well the Vietnamese worked! As I stated, I haven't been to Myanmar yet but I can't think there is anywhere like Bagan in Laos.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laos or Myanmar for 17 days

Laos is overpriced? Are you kidding? Maybe if you are staying in Luang Prabang, but I paid $12 on average for guesthouses in around Laos (I have been there 8 times & love it!) and paid $25 for the same quality guesthouse in Myanmar. Both are fantastic, but you have to know what to see and do while there. Laos offers more nature sports than Myanmar presently, only because a lot of the forested areas in Myanmar are off-limits to western tourists.