We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

Hey,

I'm thinking about having a little trip from Thailand to Myanmar, by land. The main point would be to spend 2-3 days at Bagan, then one day for Mt. Popa, and get back. Is it possible to cross the border by land ( yes, i know it is from 2013) and then continue by bus/taxi/train to Mandalay or Bagan? I'm interested if anybody has tried it?

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
822 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

There are many border gates that you can cross from Thailand to Myanmar now. However, as you can see from the map, Thailand is closed to Shan, Kayah and Kayin states which are far from Mandalay. It is not possible to drive directly from these border gates to Mandalay or Bagan.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

as of August 2013 it is possible to cross at 4 land borders with Thailand...note: if you cross by land at Mae Sai, nth Thailand into Taichiliek / Kengtung, you still would have to take a internal domestic flight from there to Heho/Mandalay/Yangon...no overland travel that section (yet...)

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

Thank you for your answers:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

I'm assuming a Thai visa on available at Mae Sai and Mae Sot just like all Thailand's other land borders..? I've been working from the assumption that it is - but then saw a recent post where someone talked about having a Thai multiple entry visa prior to starting their trip.

5. Re: Traveling solutions Thailand - Myanmar. Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:17