We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help- trains

Houghton Regis
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help- trains

Hello,

Firstly, apologies if any of my questions have been answered in the FAQ section, the link does not appear on the mobile version of this site.

I'm planning on visiting Myanmar sometime in mid November. Unfortunately due to time and budget restraints, the visit will be quite short. My itinerary so far is as follows:

Day 1: Fly into Yangon, arrive 8:00. Spend the day in the city. Catch the 20.30 train to Naypyitaw

Day 2: Arrive in Naypyitaw at 6:00. Spend the day in this area and then 00:10 train to Mandalay

Day 3: Arrive in Mandalay at 6.30. Day and night here

Day 4: Morning in Mandalay, 12.40 flight to Bangkok.

I realise this does not leave much time for each city, but are the train journeys plausible? I have tried to look online for times, and am hoping they are still accurate. Additionally, is anyone able to point me in the right direction for prices?

Also, a matter I personal opinion, but is Naypyitaw worth a visit? Are there any other towns I should consider instead, or given the timing would it maybe be better to just consider Yangon and Mandalay?

Thank you in advance,

Amelia

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
825 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help- trains

First of all, Nayyitaw is not really worth visiting if you have short visit to Myanmar. Secondly, there are direct train from Yangon to Mandalay, no need to stop in Naypyitaw.

For your itinerary, you can do like this:

Day 1: Yangon. Spend full day in Yangon. Taking bus / overnight train directly to Mandalay

Day 2: Mandalay - Mingun - Inwa

Day 3: Mandalay- Pyn Oo Lwin - Mandalay by bus

Day 4: Mandalay - Royal Palace - departure

If you take a train ride, make sure you have sleeper berth cause the first class seat carriage is very shaking, otherwise overnight bus is a very good choice

Houghton Regis
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help- trains

Thank you so much for that. I had tentatively written this a while ago and could not quite remember why Napyitaw came into it to be honest. I shall definitely look Ono those other options.

3. Re: Itinerary help- trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:19