We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myanmar Tourist Visa (from Ireland) & Cash Query

Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
363 reviews
Save Topic
Myanmar Tourist Visa (from Ireland) & Cash Query

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this/similar has been posted before. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here.

We are a couple of lads travelling to Myanmar from Dublin in a few weeks. Prior to arriving in Myanmar, we will be spending a few days in Thailand. I just have a couple of questions relating to visas and money etc...

(1) There is no Myanmar embassy in Ireland. Any idea how we obtain a tourist visa (application forms, procedure, costs, etc....)?? Provisional reading is suggesting we have to post our passports to England.

(2) I have read on numerous posts that we need to bring cash into the country, in US$, and that it is best to exchange it at the airport in Rangoon as we get the best rate there. Is this the case, and what is the availability and reliability of ATMs in the country? I usually travel with very little cash and use ATMs or bank withdrawals where possible, as a safety measure.

(3) If we do have to bring a large sum of cash, Im concerned that carrying this on me in Thailand will be pretty risky, so any suitable alternative would be great.

(4) Regarding medication, how prevalent is malaria in the country? We are thinking of taking malarone throughout our two week visit. Is this the norm? Obviously we are doing the well trodden tourist trail.

I think thats all the questions I have for the moment. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Al

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,333 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myanmar Tourist Visa (from Ireland) & Cash Query

Hi, and welcome to the Myanmar forum.

1. If you look at Top questions to the right,specifically on getting a Visa from London you will see in later posts the procedure for getting the Visa from Ireland in London. Timing is important and you may wish to apply very soon as the turnaround could be 10 days, so as the song goes "time is tight".

2. Please use the search feature above "ATM's" or " Changing US$" for all the recent threads. In a nutshell you can change $ (and €) on arrival at Yangon airport and official Banks but ATM's are widespread but do charge 5000kyat per withdrawal so expensive to use. Personally I,and many others,take $'s for that reason.

3. You say you are in Thailand first-you can get a Visa in 48 hours in Bangkok from the Myanmar embassy there-again see Top Questions.

4.Take professional advice, this web site indicates that in the main areas of Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay in the dry season are malaria free.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…malaria

hope this helps

SS

Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myanmar Tourist Visa (from Ireland) & Cash Query

Hi silverswimmer,

Thanks for your help.

A

3. Re: Myanmar Tourist Visa (from Ireland) & Cash Query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:17