We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking?

los angeles,ca
Level Contributor
135 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking?

My travel companions and I are non smokers. I know your answers will be subjective, but are there many smokers in local restaurants? tourist restaurants? in the street? at hotels? Smokers will not deter us, but I wanted a general idea of what to expect.

Thanks for all your help.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,839 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking?

The Burmese do puff away like the magic dragon but the worst offenders are the French & Italian visitors.Most hotels and restaurants have non smoking areas and I have never been troubled too much by intrusive second hand smoke.Airports and aircraft are non smoking.

SS

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking?

The Sedona Hotel in Mandalay reeked of smoke, even the so-called non-smoking rooms. Otherwise there were not too many smokers in my three weeks there, but they are not well separated and you could sit next to a smoker in a bar or restaurant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking?

Hi there,

I'm a non-smoker, but my partner smokes. I'm not fussed by smokers but I have to say that at many restaurants, there was smoking right at the next table as we ate both in hotels, and at many local type places too. But thankfully there is no smoking in temples, and as SS says, airports and flights. And yes, smoking seems to be a national pass-time, with many people smoking at stalls, on the streets etc.

- K

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking?

Smoking is hardly a problem. To expensive a habit for many locals. I am a non-smoker and absolutely detest smoking and had very few encounters with smokers compared to where I live, Japan.

BUT there is a lovely habit that many Myanmar men have- chewing betel nut. Now THAT is disgusting, smelly and always spitting everywhere. Have fun with that one!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking?

I saw people smoking in several places at the Shwedagon Temple, even inside buildings

6. Re: Smoking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16