We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars breakdown

Galway, Ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
Dollars breakdown

Hi folks! If I was to bring $1000 dollars to Myanmar, what denominations should I bring?

e.g. 8x100, 2x50, 7x20, 4x10, 2x5 and 10x1 or just 10x100? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollars breakdown

No, it doesn't really matter. I brought a stack of 100s to pay my agent for the flights/hotels he booked for me (they requested NEW 100s) and 50s for purchasing a bunch of lacquerware, and some smaller bills for shopping for souvenirs at the market in Yangon, taking taxis, etc.

If you are heading off the beaten path or dining at local restaurants or shopping at non-tourist places, you will need to use kyat. I exchanged $200 worth of kyat at the airport and used it to buy local CDs at a small mall, to dine at local restaurants and also at tea shops.

Galway, Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollars breakdown

Great, thanks for that! I'm going to bring 8x100, 2x50 etc, and see how it goes.

3. Re: Dollars breakdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17