We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budgeting for Myanmar

Mudgee, Australia
Destination Expert
for Mudgee
Level Contributor
200 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Budgeting for Myanmar

I cant see this in the FAQ but if it is I apologise.

Could someone give a Rough idea of how much $US to allow per day for general things like meals, souvenirs and incidentals. Thanks

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

What is your travel style?

I ask because if you are budget/backpacker eating and drinking with the locals then $20 will suffice but if you are staying in 4* tourist hotels then you can double that,and more. Don't forget entrance fees.

SS

Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

We are in Myanmar currently. As SS says, depends on your style. We have usually spent between $7-12 for lunch for 2 of us (including a beer). Last week we checked out of our hotel and needed to pay for 3 dinners for 2 of us,each including a couple of beers, and some laundry and the total was $48. Last night we had to eat in the hotel and we spent $50 for dinner including a bottle of Myanmar wine ($25 at the hotel).

Mudgee, Australia
Destination Expert
for Mudgee
Level Contributor
200 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

Good question, I suppose you could say middle aged flashpackers.No 4 star stuff, we love to eat at different levels but favour local style. So if I allowed $100 per day for the two of us it will cover us? We are there for 26 days but 14 will be on a bike tour where most things except lunch, dinner and grog are covered.

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

$100 a day will be more than sufficient, even when purchasing handicrafts.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

Agree, $100/day will easily cover meals and incidentals. Most probably $50/day will cover you most days easily. We found that we spent more money on transportation costs than we thought would be the case and probably this was around 20% of daily costs. Food and drink was the cheapest part of the trip.

It is really hard question to answer but at the end of the day we spent less than we expected.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

That will be more than enough but prices are changing every day, hotels that used to cost 15$ now costs 50$ per day.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

If hotel is 20 or 30 $ per night, you need around 100 dollars per day. It is included for food , entrance fees , sightseeing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

I was in Myanmar earlier this year. Hotels in Myanmar are very expensive. And many are likely booked up due to South East Asian games going on currently till Dec. 22.

The only area you might find some price relief is in Rakhine beaches where they are reporting less tourists due to reports of ethnic strife in that province. I can tell you that if you are interested only in Ngapali beach, there is no ethnic issue in the area - airport is right on the beach (literally) along a narrow coastline backed by rugged hills. most of the problems are up north by the Bangladesh border. Be warned that beach bungalos were going for $300 in good hotels. I paid$100. I heard one place was charging only $30 for a room. lots of these places should have cut their rates by half at least by now.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 13:35
Schiedam, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

Agree, 100$ per day for two is a lot of money. If you do not go to super luxurious places every night, half of that is already enough.

As per November 2013, large bottle of water is 300 Kyat (30 cent) (500 kyat at Golden Rock),large bunch of bananas 700-1000 kyat, pack of biscuits 1.000-2.000 kyat, fruit juice in a good place - around 1.000-2.000 kyat (at the Strand a fruit cocktail and an alcohol cocktail was around 14 USD). The most expensive dinner we had was 19.000 kyat and the rest was about 10-12.000 kyat, beer (650ml) is between 1.500-2.500 kyat in a restaurant, can of coke 500-1.000 kyat. Souvenirs...depending what you buy and where you buy it. In Yangon we bought two laquerware owls with gold on them - 5.000 kyat for two. The same owls we saw also for 25 USD per piece at a workshop in Bagan...The sellers of souvenirs in front of temples are also quite pricey - 400-500% margins...Most expensive entrance - Shwedagon Paya 8 USD p.p. We had a crispy new USD, but we did not use much of them. Contrary to what we read and was the case a year or two ago, almost everybody wanted kyats. So, exchange enough and keep the receipt from the bank.

Our expenses turned to be arond 90 USD per day for two, including hotel, travel, food, souvenirs, entrances, Balloons over Bagan (600 USD for two) and excluding the international flights.

Edited: 20 December 2013, 15:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budgeting for Myanmar

When you say $100 for 2 ppl per day does this include accommodation or not? Already pre paid travel and accommodation tends to be $60 a night so we are looking at how much to take for 2 weeks spending in the Big 4 and Ngapali.

thanks