We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

UK,London
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

hi,

is the only way from Myanmar to Bangkok by flying or can we go overland? and if yes,how long will it take ?

London
Level Contributor
402 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

keen to know the answer to this also

thanks

mark

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

yea, it's possible for Thai people who hold Myanmar's visa. but not for all nationality I guess

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

Yes

See this recent thread here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294191-i9454-k7…

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

chatterboxtanya06

The journey from Bangkok to Yangon overland will probably take 3 days by coach,pickup,bus and train.

Book early and get a cheap ThaiAirAsia flight....

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

It is possible, but I would not recommended it. The road to leading the Thai Border from Myanmar side is very poor and it is a very narrow mountain road and only allow one car at a time. It is also accident prone and have heavy traffic due to border trading. The government is building new road connecting the borders but it will only finish around 2014-15. I heard from local businessmen that if that new road is open, there will be a bus route connecting Yangon and Bangkok. However, for now, I only recommend the air travel.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

Hi chatterboxtanya06,

You can go overland only Yangon to Myawaddy by bus. That way have 2 types, up day and down day. At the Up Day bus can go to Myawaddy, Down Day bus can go to Yangon. Because that bus way is so narrow bus can go only one side a day. If you arrive Myawaddy go to border line bridge and cross. Other side is Mai Sout, Thailand.

I don't recommend that bus way; inconvenient, long time, danger for accident, etc.,

Only flight travel is the best for you.

ST

7. Re: is it possible to get to Bangkok from Myanmar overland ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2014, 05:17