We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

climate/clothing question

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
climate/clothing question

We will be traveling to Myanmar in Jan/Feb, and going to several places that get cold at night. My question is whether our lodging are also likely to be chilly. Should I bring warm pajamas?

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: climate/clothing question

Here is more colder than normal especially in Upper country that we haven't got this degree in before in last few years.

I am sure that you better take pajamas and jackets to Myanmar if you are going to Upper country and Shan state.

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: climate/clothing question

Thanks for your reply. I understand about taking warm clothing for outdoors. My question is specifically about whether we can expect hotels to be comfortably heated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: climate/clothing question

.All rooms we stayed in had reverse cycle air conditioning, though we booked the most expensive room at each place we were at. Can not comment on standard rooms or dorms though. Send an email to each place you have booked and ask the question.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: climate/clothing question

All the hotels we stayed in had thick extra blankets/covers tucked away in the wardrobes for those chilly nights plus heaters.

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: climate/clothing question

Thanks. One pair of medium pajamas, good for all climates, will do.

los angeles,ca
Level Contributor
133 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: climate/clothing question

We just returned from a 17 day trip which included KyaingTung and Inle Lake. We stayed at top end hotels- in Kyaing Tung,the best hotel in town was the Princess. It had absolutely no heating and neither did anything in town. The restaurants were all open air and it got below freezing at night. There were plenty of blankets and I slept in a nightgown over which was a warm cashmere cardigan.But we wouldn't have missed Kyaing Tung for the world.In Inle, at the Inle Princess resort, the rooms are sort of heated by a large stove and the beds have electric heating sheets. The ac. heating there does not work as the ceilings are too high. In the dining room there were braziers strategically placed which made the room very comfortable. I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: climate/clothing question

None of the places (guesthouses or hotels) I have ever stayed at in Myanmar had any heating, maybe some of the the fancier hotels do. As mentioned above, there is plenty of warm bedding but it may or may not be freezing cold at places like Inle lake in the winter. If you will be in Kalaw or north of that in the mountains, bring plenty of warm layers. It is good to know that things heat up substantially in the daytime, but last year it got down to 0 degrees C in Kalaw. It isn't quite that cold in the Inle area but it gets pretty chilly when you're in a boat on the lake with the wind in your face in the early morning.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: climate/clothing question

We have just spent 28 days in Myanmar and while it was cool on Inle in the am, and cooler at Kala at night, we managed with only cotton long sleeve tops. (I hadn't expected cool weather and had not packed winter clothes as I was intent on keeping cool in the heat!!) I found most hotels to have reverse cycle AC

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: climate/clothing question

#8 You were very lucky as that is not the norm. I still recommend people bring warm garments, better to be safe than sorry! On a similar note, I am usually sweating in Cambodia when I visit every December, and this year I needed a jacket every night. In the capital of Laos where my friends live, it is usually 30 C by day but it got down to 6 C at the end of December! Odd weather patterns all around Southeast Asia but it is still good to carry clothes for the normal expected temperatures...

Atlanta, Georgia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: climate/clothing question

We will be in Inle Lake in Jan, do we need to worry about mosquitoes?