We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

Our first day and night in Yangon was surprisingly cosmopolitan, modern and not what we expected. Yangon appears to be a happening place. We thought the airport was nicer and newer than the Jakarta airport. The roads that we traveled on to our hotel (East) were well paved. Malayasia Airlines had given us the forms to fill out upon boarding in Kuala Lumpur, and they opened new immigration lines so that we didn't stand long in line. The money changers at the luggage claims area charged just about the same amount-981 per US dollar. They will change only a handful of currencies-us dollars, euros, singapore dollars, japanese yen are the ones that I recall, They wouldn't change indonesian rupiah. Our agency River Mekong was waiting for us with a sign outside luggage claim and we paid the remaining portion of our bill at the curb with US dollars. Our birding guide--Thet Win-was there and we were introduced to our driver for our time in Yangon. New and comfortable sedan. In fact, we were surprised by how many new cars were on the road. Traffic is very heavy-at least as bad or worse than what we had experienced in our short stay in Jakarta in the previous days. In addition to lots of cars on the road, there are people walking across the street, bicycles, etc. Not the motorbikes of Jakarta.

After checking in and dropping my husband off at the hotel for a nap, I was off with Thet and the driver to check out the three tailors that River Mekong had suggested. The first and the furthest away said that they would take three to four weeks to prepare the clothes. The second only tailored mens clothing. The third was the closest to the hotel (of course) and happily said they could accomodate me-Globe Tailors. I had brought a silk sleeveless top that wanted to copy, as well as two pieces of batik material from Indonesia to make into dresses. So, three silk blend tops (including material), and two knee length short sleeve dresses cost 66000 or maybe 70 dollars. I think quite a bargain. Will tell you how they come out. The measurements etc. was all very professional and the tailors English was very good.

We returned to the hotel to pick up my husband and went to the Schedagon Pagoda. Arriving about 445 pm, we had time to walk around the pagoda before arranging ourselves to see the famous bat exodus. If you are at all interested in nature, take your binoculars and camera and situate yourself at the entrance with the two large dragons where the three escalators are. Tens of thousands of bats come out of the pagoda just before 6 pm, with birds of prey waiting. We watched peregrine falcons fly through the swarm of bats to nab one for dinner. What a sight. In some cases, the falcons bumped into the bats but didn't get one. After watching for more than 20 minutes we left since were so tired after departing our Jakarta hotel at 2 am. But so glad that we saw the exodus. By the way, there are tons of birds at the pagoda. We saw a pergrine falcon waiting on the main spire itself, tree sparrows, drongos, black kite circling above, two differnt kinds of mynas, spotted doves, etc.

For meals, we had lunch at a restaurant that served Myanmar, Chinese and Thai cuisine which was very good--Golden Taste. After hearing so often on this forum we were expecting our food to be swimming in oil, or not very tasty. However, our guide when we told him we wanted local cuisine brought us here. I ordered fried asparagus, fried cashew nuts, rice noddles with chicken. My husband had a big bowl of soup with noddles and tempura shrimp and vegetables. The fried items weren't fried with breading--just sauteed. Yum. Our dinner was simple at the East hotel restaurant since we had heard it was good. Banana milkshake, and pumpkin soup for me. My husband had myanmar chicken curry, sauteed vegetables etc. He loved it. He said he is looking forward to lunch.

ok off to our first day of birding.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

Thanks-a great start with,no doubt loads more to come

SS

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

Nice :)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,672 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

I had not yet heard about the bat exodus. We will want to see that. Thanks for this great report. I will be keen to read the rest.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

If you search bats and Yangon on youtube you can find several videos showing the bat exodus. If you want more information, check out the 2011 scientific article "Mass exodus of bats and dragonflies: the measurement

and conservation of biodiversity" by Christoph Zöckler. Published in the journal "Biodiversity", the article is available for free online as a PDF (just google the title).

A picture of the sign outside and map of the general location of the tailor can be found here:

yangonlife.com.mm/myanmar/…226

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

THank you so much for your report. I'm travelling to Yangon in two weeks time and am curious to know how your tailored clothes turned out. And if you were happy with them it would be great if you could supply more details on the tailor.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

The OP posted 75 questions/posts before her Myanmar visit and just this one thread on arrival,although indicating that there would be lots more to come as she travelled around Myanmar.

There have been no reviews posted since May 2013.

She obviously survived her visit as she is now posting on New Zealand.

It would be great if she finished her itinerary blogs as promised so as to help other travellers, especially as so many helped her in the planning of her trip

SS

Edited: 28 March 2014, 22:50
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

J0runn--The tailor that I used was Globe Tailors. If you click on the URL that I posted earlier, you will see a photo of the outside sign. It is very near Traders hotel.

SS--Unfortunately, I returned from Mynamar with a bug that kept me in bed for several days, and have been buried in work since. So, I have not had a chance to finish editing my photos. Yes, I have taken some time to visit with our grandbabies, and to help plan a NZ trip to celebrate our friends 80th bday. I do plan to finish editing our photos, and will post more detailed responses at that time--it is just taking me more time than I thought.. Your post unfortunately reminds me of the mean things that you called me on this forum and on the lonelyplanet forum in response to the questions that I asked when I was planning our trip to Myanmar. Please show some kindness and understanding.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

Sorry to hear you picked up a bug, I suspected something was up.

Look forward to the reading the rest of your itinerary in due course.

SS

9. Re: Day1: Nature at Shewadagon Pagoda, good meals, tailor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 05:15