We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train from Yangon to Bagan

Level Contributor
3 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight train from Yangon to Bagan

An overnight train from Yangon to Bagan was part of my intrepid tour and I wanted to share as much info as possible to help out other travellers as Intrepid were useless in providing info about what to expect or pack. We had a first class sleeper cabin. The train was not the worst overnight train I have had in Asia and it was fairly clean for what I was expecting. The cabin has 4 beds in it. The top bunks are the most comfortable mattress but the train is the bumpiest train I have ever been on and the top bunk was so bad so avoid these if you have a choice. The bottom seats convert into beds when the are pulled down flat. There is a small table in the middle. One thing to note is that the train is absolutely freezing and even in Jan when we went. It starts to get cold around 7pm but before this is it is lovely to have the windows open and wave to the locals and view the farmland. The 'blankets' they say are provided are just cloth and similar to table cloths and are not warm at all. My suggestion is to pack a small lightweight sleeping bag for zero temps if you can fit it as then your journey will be somewhat bearable. The train is notorious for running over time and an 18hr ride turned into a 20hr ride for us. The toilet is typical of a cabin toilet but each cabin has their own. Most toilets were leaking from the roof so there is a chance you will get wet each time you go. You will need to purchase food before travelling as there is no food at the station or on the train. The supermarket is only around the corner from the station though. My tip is to pack an eye mask, ear plugs, mosquito net & sleeping bag:) if you can afford it fly as the train journey is really not an experience you need to have:)

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
817 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight train from Yangon to Bagan

Thank you for sharing. Train in Myanmar is not so comfortable at the current time, I stayed awake most of the time during the train ride from Yangon to Mandalay, however, I got prepared for that so it was fine.

In general, those who want to experience train travel in Myanmar should read more about the train conditions before you take it.

2. Re: Overnight train from Yangon to Bagan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 05:17