We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Topic
Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Hi Everyone,

I am visiting my daughter in Hong Kong in March and we will spend 3 days in Chaing Mai together. She will fly back to HK but I have 6 days of holiday left before flying back to HK and back to London. Should I include a brief visit to Myanmar ?. I do want to visit Myanmar after seeing Maneki`s lovely pictures. I am thinking Mandalay and Bagan, I can do intensive sightseeing :)

I will not be able to come to SE Asia for some time.

I am looking at connecting flights but that it is difficult as I need to book Chaing Mai and Myanmar or Laos soon now. My flight from HK back to London are booked.

I thank you in advance for all your help and valuable opinion.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

" Warmly Welcome to Mandalay and Myanmar"

Even 6 days is not enough to the whole country in Myanmar, it is good enough in Mandalay and Bagan.

Now is the best time to visit Myanmar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Thank you Kosoesoemdy for your good advice.

I have started my research on Myan Mar and If I can get direct flights from Chiang Mai to Mandalay then it will save me some time. Asian wings are going to do direct flights from end of January, they will put the details on their website soon. So I can wait and see. Mandalay to Bagan then to Yangon for flight to HK. I might even get 6 1/2 days free.

Any more suggestions are very welcome as I have only few weeks to book.

cheers

Edited: 10 January 2014, 17:46
Mandalay, Myanmar
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Welcome to you from Mandalay , Myanmar.

Within 6 days you can visit Bagan , Nyaungoo , Mt.Popa, Mandalay, Ava, Amapura , Pyinoolwin and sagaing. All of these cities are worthy to visit .You can visit Bagan for 2days then on the way from Bagan to Mandalay , you can pay a visit to Nyaung oo and Mt.Popa. In Nyaungoo you can go toddy firms and oil pressing by ox. Mt.Popa old volcano and can enjoy bird eye view from the top of the mountain. Then Mandalay for 1day and 1day for Sagaing , Ava and Amarapura and 1 day for Pyinoolwin (British hill statiom).If you wish , you can take a bumpy train from pyinoolwin to Naungpein by acrossing Gotaik viaduct built by British.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Level Contributor
31 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Welcome to you from Mandalay , Myanmar.

Within 6 days you can visit Bagan , Nyaungoo , Mt.Popa, Mandalay, Ava, Amapura , Pyinoolwin and sagaing. All of these cities are worthy to visit .You can visit Bagan for 2days then on the way from Bagan to Mandalay , you can pay a visit to Nyaung oo and Mt.Popa. In Nyaungoo you can go toddy firms and oil pressing by ox. Mt.Popa old volcano and can enjoy bird eye view from the top of the mountain. Then Mandalay for 1day and 1day for Sagaing , Ava and Amarapura and 1 day for Pyinoolwin (British hill statiom).If you wish , you can take a bumpy train from pyinoolwin to Naungpein by acrossing Gotaik viaduct built by British.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Lin a, Thank you so much for your lovely ideas.

I did have a look at the places and they sound amazing. My favourite would be going on Mt Popa and enjoy the views. I also like the idea of bumpy train ride.

I have now got 8 and 1/2 days free but one whole day will go on flights so I am seriously considering what to do now.

In the meantime please I appreciate all your ideas and advice.

Once again many thanks

Level Contributor
492 posts
942 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Jumping on the bandwagon, definitely do it, but plan it out carefully. I support lin a's call to go northeast to Pyin Ul Win etc - I went there from Mandalay for a day, then got the train to Hsipaw the next day. The whole area was my favourite part of Myanmar - great countryside, great people, great food, fewer tourists. But it will take up a few days. If you flew straight into Mandalay, you could perhaps do that (Pyin Ul Win is at least worth a look as it's very close) then go to Bagan. Mandalay has things to see but you don't need long - mostly it's just a crazy dirty city and Yangon does the crazy dirty city thing better.

Buses from Mandalay to Bagan take about 6 hours and leave early morning, so you will have some of the first afternoon - that plus one full day would be enough to see a lot of temples, while you could use a second day to see Mt Popa. Or, if you have the money, you could organise a driver to take you to Mt Popa on the way back to Yangon (if I used a driver, I'd also consider Nay Pyi Daw just for the crazy hell of it).

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,300 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

It is my suggestion in Myanmar.

Day 1 Explore at Mandalay city ( sunset on the Mandalay hill ), Overnight in Mandalay.

Day 2 Mingun , Sagaing , Innwa and Amarapura ( sunset in the U Bein Bridge ) , Over night in Mandalay.

Day 3 Morning sunrise at U Bein Bridge and leave to Mt. Popa by taxi ( Taxi is better than by boat and by bus even it costs more than bus and boat. ) , then to Bagan , Overnight in Bagan.

Day 4 Bagan sightseeing

Day 5 Bagan sightseeing

Day 6 Train from Bagan to Yangon, Overnight at Yangon.

Day 7 Yangon to Golden Rock ( Bago sightseeing on the way ), Overnight at Golden Rock.

Day 8 Return to Yangon and Sightseeing to Shwedagon pagoda , Sule pagoda.

Day 9 Departure.

Welcome to Mandalay and Myanmar,

Enjoy your visit in Myanmar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Thank you mrdom and Kosoesoemdy, those are wonderful ideas.

Even though it is bit of hassle with flights and I have only few days, I am now going to visit Myanmar. In future I can visit again and explore more areas.

I am now looking at flights from Chiang Mai, which are to Yangon or if Asian wings will announce soon their direct flights from Chiang Mai to Mandalay. I hope to hear from them soon.

I have short time now so I need to build my itinerary, I will be travelling solo, but I can hire car for couple of days if I am able to see interesting places on the way. I can stay at more basic hotels.

I welcome more suggestions and advice.

Once again thank you

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Day 1- Chiang Mai-Mandalay

Day 2- See sights in Mandalay

Day 3- See sights on outskirts of Mandalay (Sagain, Amarapura, U Bein)

Day 4-FLY to Bagan (you will not have time for any other method of transport) in the morning, see sights by horsecart on first day.

Day 5- Bagan temples

Day 6- Bagan temples, shop for lacquerware?

Day 7- Day trip to Salay & Mt Popa, possibly fly to Yangon in evening? (or fly to Yangon early morning next day.) Night in Yangon.

Day 8- Fly out of Yangon

DO NOT forget that you need to have a visa for Myanmar in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Only got 6 days, Should 1 visit Myanmar?

Thank you so much Maneki for all the brilliant ideas. Now I have to book the flights.

Cheers