We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border into China

England
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the border into China

Hi guys

I wondered if anyone knows whether it is possible for 'foreigners' to cross into China from Myanmar at the Mu-se/Ruili border? (I already have my Chinese visa etc.)

Thank you in advance :)

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
806 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the border into China

It is possible to cross this border gate if you have visa and visiting permit.

Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the border into China

Toddlingalong, please report back after you make the crossing. I hope to make this trip from Myanmar into China not the other way, I would appreciate learning about your experience either on these boards or as a PM.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 21:52
England
Level Contributor
9 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the border into China

Just to update everyone, it IS possible to cross into China from Myanmar, at time of writing.

In order to do so, you must have the appropriate visa for China as it is not issued at the border.

The only land crossing open to tourists is at Ruili/Muse. Tourists can now travel to Muse from Lashio without a permit but you do need to have acquired a permit from the Burmese Government in order to use that border crossing to exit Myanmar(?!). Permits can only be obtained from the Hotels and Tourism Ministry in Nay Pyi Taw. The Immigration chap I spoke to in Lashio said it is also possible to obtain the permit from an Hotels & Tourism Ministry office in Yangon.

I was unable to find an office for the Hotels and Tourism Ministry in Mandalay or Yangon, but was rushing as I had run of time on my visa, so it is possible that there are two in those cities.

According to the Myanmar Tourism website (www.myanmartourism.org) the address for the ministry is Building No. (33), Nay Pyi Taw. Tel: 95 67 406129, 406061. mo.moht@mptmail.net.mm or mohtmail@gmail.com

I did try to obtain the appropriate permit in Lashio as I had been told by Lashio Immigration Staff who sent me on a wild goose chase around the town getting letters of confirmation from a town official and my hotel (that I had to check into in order to get the letter) to find that that information was wrong.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the border into China

Thanks, Toddlingalong. I gather from your information that the crossing is theoretically possible but you didn't make it. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels.

I appreciate your reply.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crossing the border into China

I have plans to cross border from China Yunan RuiLi to Myanmar MuSe and have all visa ready.

Is the border still open to single backpacking traveller as of now Dec 2014?

How is transport there to Lashio? Please advice

6. Re: Crossing the border into China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2015, 06:16