We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burma in hot April during New Years

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Burma in hot April during New Years

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Burma in April - during the hottest time of the year. I have also only 9 days including travel time. I don't particularly enjoy the heat and hate that I have such a short period of time, but it's the only time I have the opportunity to go.

The cities I plan to visit are Yangon, Bagan, and Inle Lake. We have decided to save Mandalay for another time.

Right now my itinerary is as follow:

April 9: Arrive to Yangon

April 10: fly from Yangon to Bagan (arrive early in AM)

April 11: Bagan

April 12: Bagan

April 13: fly to Inle Lake (arrive in AM)

April 14: Inle Lake

April 15: fly back to Yagon (arrive in early evening)

April 16: Yangon

April 17: fly out of Yagon

A few questions:

1) Reading a few forums, everyone says that you should allow more time for Bagan. I've pretty much given 3 full days. Given how hot it will be, do you think that I should reduce this time and allow more time in Inle Lake instead? Unless there is much more to do in the city, I'm afraid I might not make it with the heat/sun exposure visiting the pagoda - I think I might be able to pull off a day at most (we will probably be taking the horse cart option as biking seems suicidal at this point). So do you think 3 days is too much?

2) We will be visiting Burma during New Years - Water festival. I'm both intrigued but apprehensive at the same time. The festival looks incredible, but at the same time most guide books I've seen say that everything will be closed and shut down. Will we, as tourists, have difficulty eating out and walking around (we hit New Years when we arrive in Inle Lake, and the celebration ends when we'll be in Yangon). Will it be extremely difficult to get around?

3) Finally this is a strange question, but I suffer from an immense phobia of snakes which has impaired my travelling plans in the past. It's an actual phobia, not just a fear. I've been wanting to visit Burma for so long but when I researched around (as I always have to do with anyone of my travel destination) - it seems that they are common everywhere - living in pagodas, etc. everywhere. Is this true or have I just read horror stories?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,318 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Mandalay
Mandalay
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Tour Diamond
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Myanmar Damsel Travels & Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Multi-day Tours
Man, West Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

yes'Bangan is enough for 2days!

for second question its not very difficult''of course during festival everybody want have holiday'but might have part time! you could fine!

Man, West Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

yes'Bangan is enough for 2days!

for second question its not very difficult''of course during festival everybody want have holiday'but might have part time! you could fine!

The snaks usually live in bushes 'rice field'etc! not at crowed places such as pagodas'park'etc!

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
834 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

Hi Injetkt,

For your questions:

1. Arpil 10 and 11 are sufficient for Bagan. You can move that day to a place off-beaten-track in Inle Lake

2. Shops, business are closed including restaurant. Small notes: restaurants in hotels will be still opening.

3. As you may know, wet and shadow places are good condition for snake. What I can advise you is to visit the famous pagodas in Bagan and surely you will not see any snake. Personally, I visited hundreds of Bagan pagoda and never saw a snake !

Good luck for your trip !

Mentioned in this post
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,318 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

Hi, it is going to be hot during your stay, I would recomend an AC car to visit in Bagan, and avoid central hours, wake up early, get back to the hotel for a swim and have some rest and be off again in the afternoon.

As for snakes I guess you get them almost everywhere. I have a fobia for rats (even mice, squirrel...) and I know I have a very high probability of having an "encounter". But I wouldn´t be able to step outside the door almost anywhere in the world if I think about it. So, just don´t give it a thought.

Inle lake will also be hot specially if you are in a boat at noon. Remember to bring an umbrella for sunshade.

As for the water Festival we will also be in Myanmar and I expect to get wet in Yangon but not in Bagan. More a city happening, I don´t think anyone could be willing to push water barrels arround the pagodas. As for Inle. well, plenty of water available¡ But the water level will be low. I remember having to get off the boat and push over a sand bank, my previous visit was in March.

Hope this helps¡

Mentioned in this post
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,318 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Inle Resort & Spa
Inle Resort & Spa
815 Reviews
Taunggyi, Myanmar
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
112 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

Hi, it is going to be hot during your stay, I would recomend an AC car to visit in Bagan, and avoid central hours, wake up early, get back to the hotel for a swim and have some rest and be off again in the afternoon.

As for snakes I guess you get them almost everywhere. I have a fobia for rats (even mice, squirrel...) and I know I have a very high probability of having an "encounter". But I wouldn´t be able to step outside the door almost anywhere in the world if I think about it. So, just don´t give it a thought.

Inle lake will also be hot specially if you are in a boat at noon. Remember to bring an umbrella for sunshade.

As for the water Festival we will also be in Myanmar and I expect to get wet in Yangon but not in Bagan. More a city happening, I don´t think anyone could be willing to push water barrels arround the pagodas. As for Inle. well, plenty of water available¡ But the water level will be low. I remember having to get off the boat and push over a sand bank, my previous visit was in March.

Hope this helps¡

Mentioned in this post
Bagan
Bagan
Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Inle Lake
Inle Lake
2,318 Reviews
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon (Rangoon)
Yangon Region, Myanmar
Inle Resort & Spa
Inle Resort & Spa
815 Reviews
Taunggyi, Myanmar
6. Re: Burma in hot April during New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:21