We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in Myanmar? Are tablets needed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria in Myanmar? Are tablets needed?

Hello, my partner and I are taking a 2 week holiday in Myanmar this coming June. We will be mainly visiting Yangoon, Bagan, Mandalay and Inle lake. We are trying to find out whether it is really necessary to take anti-malaria tablets. Some sites only say to take them when outside of Mandalay and Yangoon, others say only if trekking in the mountains and others say it is not needed at all. We would be grateful to get the views of other travelers who have been to the country in recent months. What is the real score on taking anti malaria tablets when in Myanmar? Thanks!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in Myanmar? Are tablets needed?

The strong advice on all the forums is NOT to take advice from non-medical posters !

This is the site the NHS uses and you will see the recommendation for travel in the monsoon season,outside of Yangon and Mandalay is to get a prescription for Malarone.

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-%28eas…

fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/…malaria

On a personal note,on all my visits I have taken the advice of my Doctor and where appropriate for the destination and season I have taken Malarone,with no side affects. Whatever season or destination,I cover up and spray-even in the day-as the danger of dengue fever is possible throughout SE Asia.

Travel safe

SS

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in Myanmar? Are tablets needed?

See above and ALSO know that taking any kind of suggested prescription drugs is a personal choice. I have been traveling around Southeast Asia for close to 25 years now, 2 months out of the year, and have NEVER taken drugs for the prevention of malaria.

I DO make it a point to cover up (I never wear shorts), burn mosquito coils when I am sitting outside, and use a good citronella-based bug spray that I re-apply frequently. If I am in a very rural area, they will provide bed netting, which I of course use. Most tourists stay in hotels wiht A/C, whcih mosquitoes hate and they go into hiding when the room is cool.

I personally have never met a traveler that has contracted malaria in Southeast Asia but I have numerous friends who have had dengue, which cannot be prevented by taking drugs. Dengue is more of a problem than malaria there anyhow these days, kindly note that.

Be sensible- cover up, and use a good bug spray.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 23:24
3. Re: Malaria in Myanmar? Are tablets needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:16