We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Planning

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip Planning

Hello!

A friend and I are planning a trip to Asia for the first two weeks of August, with a week being spent in Myanmar. We have a bunch of questions, so any of answers or recommendations would be appreciated.

At this point, looking to arrive in Yangon on Aug 6 from HKG via DragonAir. We'll have from the 6th to the 13th in Myanmar and want to visit Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake.

A few questions.

1. Is one full day in Yangon enough? We want to see the Shwedagon Pagoda (in the day and at night) and some of the old British buildings. Is it advisable to hire a hire a guide and a driver for the day to fit in more?

2. We'll take an early flight to Bagan on the 8th, for three full days of exploring Bagan. We know we want to take a bike ride around, and will likely hire a guide for two of the days. Is there anything we should be on the lookout for? Are the nicer hotels on the outskirts advisable? Or should we really stay right downtown?

3. To get to Inle, we're debating hiring a taxi for the full day (7hours?) drive, so we can see more of the country side, but not have to suffer through the train. I think it's rainy season, so we're a bit concerned about the road conditions, and whether we should just fly and have more time in Inle? Thoughts? I think the drive would be a great view into the countryside, but not sure if its necessary?

4. At Inle, I guess we just hire a boat for the day? We've heard great things, but are still a bit unsure of what we should actually be doing/seeing.

5. After Inle, we'd fly back to Yangon early, have the day around Yangon, and take a night flight to Vietnam. We've looked into all the flights, and would book online if at all possible. Do we have to find a travel company in Myanmar to book our flights for us?

Thank you!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Planning

1. No. Spend 2 days in Yangon, and it is always a good idea to spend your penultimate night there. Should your connection to Yangon get cancelled that day, you will miss your flight home.

2. Rent a bike. It is the best way to get around. You won't need to hire a guide. Very easy to find your way around if you have a map from the hotel (most places sell them for about $1 or so).

3. Why do this? Where do you intend to go? Spend a full day exploring the town of Nyaung Shwe(on bicycle or on foot), inclucing a trip to the winery, the next day on a boat on the lake (this wil take a full day) and another day, if you can afford the time, to go on a day trek, see kakku or rent a bicycle again and cycle around the other side of the lake. Plenty to see and do.

4. See above. The boat guys know the exact routes, you will not need to pick and choose to tell them where to go. There is a weekly market that is held in various villages (it changes week to week) and they will know exactly where to go).

5. Hiring a local agency to book hotels and flights is usually the easiest way to go, and usually the least expensive. If you want a recommendation, send me a private message.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 22:38
Den Haag
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Planning

A flight to Vietnam you can just book online with Vietnam airlines.

For local flights you can use a travel company in Myanmar, but ... august is low season so you can probably book it youself 1 or 2 days ahead and stay flexible. Whatever you like.

Cheers, Rolf

colombo
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Planning

Seems like you are expert on Myanmar . We are family of four two adults and my kids aged 11 and 7 years are planing to go to 14 day tour in Myanmar possible date are early next month . We are bit of confusing making our travel itenary. We will fly from Colombo to Yangon via Thailand . If you could help us to make plan for visiting cultural site village seen etc appreciated. Looking forward to hear from you.

Kumudu munasinghe

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Planning

#3, please have a look on these forums and perhaps invest in a guide book. This lgive you soem idea of what there is to do, how long you will need to do it, the best season to do it, and also the cost of things. I have no idea what interests you, what you & I like are most likely very different things.

Once you have decided where you will go, come back here and we will help you fine-tune your itinerary and I will even send links to my trip reports to help you out with specific areas.

5. Re: Trip Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17