A friend and I are planning a trip to Asia for the first two weeks of August, with a week being spent in Myanmar. We have a bunch of questions, so any of answers or recommendations would be appreciated.
At this point, looking to arrive in Yangon on Aug 6 from HKG via DragonAir. We'll have from the 6th to the 13th in Myanmar and want to visit Yangon, Bagan and Inle Lake.
A few questions.
1. Is one full day in Yangon enough? We want to see the Shwedagon Pagoda (in the day and at night) and some of the old British buildings. Is it advisable to hire a hire a guide and a driver for the day to fit in more?
2. We'll take an early flight to Bagan on the 8th, for three full days of exploring Bagan. We know we want to take a bike ride around, and will likely hire a guide for two of the days. Is there anything we should be on the lookout for? Are the nicer hotels on the outskirts advisable? Or should we really stay right downtown?
3. To get to Inle, we're debating hiring a taxi for the full day (7hours?) drive, so we can see more of the country side, but not have to suffer through the train. I think it's rainy season, so we're a bit concerned about the road conditions, and whether we should just fly and have more time in Inle? Thoughts? I think the drive would be a great view into the countryside, but not sure if its necessary?
4. At Inle, I guess we just hire a boat for the day? We've heard great things, but are still a bit unsure of what we should actually be doing/seeing.
5. After Inle, we'd fly back to Yangon early, have the day around Yangon, and take a night flight to Vietnam. We've looked into all the flights, and would book online if at all possible. Do we have to find a travel company in Myanmar to book our flights for us?