We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

surge protectors

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
surge protectors

I did a search and found nothing current for what I want. I know power is unreliable in Myanmar. We would like to be able to use our netbook, camera battery charger, etc. When I search for surge protectors they seem to be for the North American market. I need one that works on higher voltage.

What suggestions would you have?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,718 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: surge protectors

Although this may not help it does indicate/recommend buying an adapter with a surge protector built in.

ananda-travel.com/UK/electric_plug_myanmar_u…

I bring a fused UK board/lead (with four plug sockets) so I can charge my bits, Do note that quality hotels have decent constant supply and big switchover generators when supply drops.

SS

Edited: 20 June 2014, 19:25
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: surge protectors

Thanks, I see what I can find. I don't think all the hotels I am going to would be considered 'quality' and of course surges can happen when power is switched on and off from generators.

Uki, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: surge protectors

Check the fine print on the box. Mine is a Belkin "Notebook Surge Protector" and it's rated from 100 volts to 240 volts. It makes sense, really, that a travel surge protector should be designed to operate on a variety of voltages.

Edited: 21 June 2014, 04:19
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: surge protectors

Thanks for the help. I think I have found something a universal adapter with surge supression. We will see when it comes. I am far away from a city so I cannot check on a box but must shop online.

Avalon, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: surge protectors

Any recomendation that ignores numbers is suspect. Often bogus. Your computer already contains superior protection that makes irrelevant surges that are hundreds of joules. How many joules does that protector claim to absorb? Hundreds? IOW it is near zero protection since destructive surges can be hundreds of thousands of joules. Be concerned. Since that protector is so undersized, it can also become a potential fire.

Surges during switchover to generator are also called noise. Tivial spikes that cause concern in subjective hearsay. Larger surges come from many UPSes when in battery backup mode. Computers must be so robust as to be unharmed even by dirtiest power from a UPS. International standards even before PCs existed required electronics to withstand 600 volt spikes without damage. Today's electronics are even more robust. Useful recommendations temper reality with numbers.

How big must a protector be to absorb hundreds of thousands of joules? Tens of kilograms? What will that tiny protector do? Read its numbers. How many joules does it claim to absorb?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,761 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: surge protectors

Wes, I see that you have just joined TA and found your way here. This is an interesting first post.

I get some of what you are saying, but I am not sure what you are advising - just plug in without doing anything special and take my chances?

Avalon, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: surge protectors

How often are clocks destroyed? How often do CFL fail? How often are radios and recharing cell phones damaged? All these devices have even less internal protection. So they are destroyed hourly or daily? Of course not.

They have you making decisions from fear. Best protection at the appliance is already inside that appliance. If a protector is so good, then its circuit is already inside the appliance. Stop letting fear replace rational conclusions. Appliances already use other circuits that are more robust.

If using a protector designed for some other nation's electricity and have problems, then you could find yourself with a significant bill for the resulting damages. If using a protector in Myanmar, then use a protector only approved by Myanmar for Myanmar electric service. Especailly since fire is one problem created by these undersized protectors.

Uki, Australia
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: surge protectors

Goodness me! Perhaps I should leave my toaster and my KTel "teasmade" at home as well.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 06:50
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,718 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: surge protectors

Never mind your curling tongues and travel iron

SS

10. Re: surge protectors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:20