We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

We are travelling to Myanmar in November and wanted to experience a scenic train trip. We are trekking from Kalaw to Inle Lake and thought Thazi to Kalaw via train may be an option although reluctant to stay in thazi overnight or whilst in Mandalay make a day trip to travel over the Gokteik Viaduct and return. Any opinions would be appreciated, thank you.

N S
Nyaungshwe, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Nyaungshwe
Level Contributor
620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Both trips are nice scenic.

You can can trek around Kalaw or Hsipaw.

You can get slow train experience between Kalaw and Shwe Nyaung(10 km away from Inle(Nyaung Shwe) as a short trip.It's only around 30 km and 3-4 hrs ride.

Another short train trip will be Hsipaw-Pyin Oo Lwin.It will cross Goak Hteik viaduct.

From Mandalay to Hsipaw,yoou can go by bus or taxi.

Trekking around Hsipaw and back from there by train.

After crossing Goak Hteik viaduct,you will arrive Naung Pein station(also 3-4 hrs ride).

You can back to MDY from that village or can ride the train till you arrive to Pyin Oo Lwin or Mandalay.

I suggest Hsipaw and Goak Hteik will be more scenic in November(for trekking and train ride)

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Thank you N.S I have committed to a trek in Kalaw which I am happy with as we are staying at Inle for 3 nights but was quite interested in doing the Gokteik Viaduct. So we will definitely give that a go maybe stay a night in Hsipaw.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Even both of them ( Thazi to Kalaw & Gokteik Viaduct ) are nice and worth to do , Gokteik trip is more nicer.

It's possible to do in one day trip, but it's too rush! Better to stay one night in Hsipaw.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Even both of them ( Thazi to Kalaw & Gokteik Viaduct ) are nice and worth to do , Gokteik trip is more nicer.

It's possible to do in one day trip, but it's too rush! Better to stay one night in Hsipaw.

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

We loved Hsipaw. Stayed at Lily the Home, which was our favorite place. In Thazi, we stayed at Moonlight Guest House - very spartan, but nice proprietors. Both train trips were fun.

Level Contributor
575 posts
1,816 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

The Pyin Oo Lwin-Hsipaw train is great. I don't know the process for doing the Gokteik viaduct as a day trip but, if you can, go all the way to Hsipaw as it's a great little town in a beautiful area. Due to a screw-up earlier in the trip, I only got one night in Hsipaw but loved it. If you have longer, the treks around there are supposed to be good. And I will second the recommendation for staying at Lily.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Agree with above posts. Recommend a couple of nights in Hsipaw with accommodation with Lily. You can then do the train back to Pyin Oo Lwin going over the viaduct. Great fun on the train with the bonus of great scenery. Hsipaw is a lovely town.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

Thank you everyone for your helpful information, now to adjust my itinerary a little to fit it all in.

9. Re: Train trip Thazi to Kalaw or Mandalay to Gokteik Viaduct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17