We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around in Myanmar

Brussels, Belgium
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting around in Myanmar

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is safe to travel alone in Myanmar? Is it easy to get around the country taking into consideration public transport? Or would it be better to join the organised trip from my own country? What is the best time to travel?

Thank you :)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around in Myanmar

To answer your questions:

Yes. I am female and choose to travel solo in Myanmar. It is safe enough, just exercise ordinary common sense.

Yes. Buses abound, here are even night buses. Internal flights, while not half as cheap as they used to be, will save you time if you want to get form point A to point B. Taxis for short trips around cities and mini-vans from some airports. Shared taxis are also an inexpensive way to go. Some folks go on and on about train travel in Myanmar but it is far too time-consuming for me. Oh, and you can rent bicycles in places like Bagan, Hsipaw, Nyaung Shwe etc to get around.

NO! Tours=Very costly, and you have no freedom. Contact a Yangon-based agency if you need someone to book internal flights & hotels. (PM me if you need that info)

Best time to travel is November~February. It is also high season so you ought to book your accommodation at popular destinations ASAP.

2. Re: Getting around in Myanmar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17