We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

We have been looking a touring Burma for a couple of years now, and have finally decided the time is right. We usually DIY it wherever we go, but only have 15 days off this time, so rather than waste time finding cars, drivers, guides etc. we are looking at an organised 'private' tour. The Trailfinders classic tour seems to tick all the boxes for us, and after initial research, seems competitively priced.

Has anybody tried this tour? If so, how did you find it?

If not this one, has anybody else done a 10 day tour with another company? Any recommendations welcome.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

The strong recommendation always on this forum is to use a Myanmar Agent for your tour and book your International flights direct with the airline-cheaper and more efficient.All Trailfinders do (and they are a good operator) is to subcontact the tour to a Myanmar Agent and add a substantial % markup.

Have a read through the Top Questions on the subject of using Agents and the link in TQ to Trip Reports makes good reading.

There are quite a few highly recommended Agents frequently mentioned here but if you want a short list then please PM me or my coDE maneki-neko

Hope this helps

SS

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

Thanks ss. I have read lots on here over the years and seen all your recommendations to use local agents. We are still in the early planning stages, and one of the options is the Trail finders private tour. We have already checked out some local agents, and now are at the comparing stage, so would still like to hear opinions from anybody who has travelled with trail finders.

Thanks for your reply, and we may well be asking you more advice soon.

London
Level Contributor
961 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

I assume you are referring to the UK company, Trialfinders. Your location of "nowhere" is hardly helpful by the way on an international forum.

If it is Trailfinders UK then they are only contracting with a local travel company in Burma to deliver the trip. They will have undoubly squeezed the local agent very hard to both deliver a cheap price and to allow them to make a cut. It will get a much better trip and a much happier set of guides if you go direct to the local agents and there are more than enough information on this forum. I have organised lots of trips using local agents in Burma, India, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Vietnam, Cambodia, Brazil and China and they have all been brilliant and you always see other Brits on a packages on UK travel company trips being herded like sheep and travelling in transport that was probably first used to get troops to the Somme.

PS Please tell us where you live. It surely cannot be that embarrassing!

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

Hi,

Sorry, yes the UK company Trailfinders. I didn't realise my profile was only partially filled in as it was done ages ago, I've just updated it, thanks for letting me know.

As said, we usually do our own planning, even if it is just buy a guide book and two tickets! We only booked in advance for Costa Rica and Namibia(with local agents) because then, as now, we didn't have a lot of time.

The Trailfinders 'Private' tour looks interesting as it is all local guides and transport for two, so we won't be herded like sheep . . . etc. which isn't anything we would ever consider!

I am calling into trailfinders to find out more this afternoon, then spending the evening comparing, and adjusting routes if needed to see all that we want.

As I said, this is early planning stage, so may well come back here for advice as and when.

Thanks for your replies.

London
Level Contributor
961 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

A late reply! I hope all goes well with Trailfinders but I would urge to to try going direct to a local Burmese agent as I think you will be able to have a better and cheaper holiday if you cut out the middleman.

We used Mr Myanmar (http://www.mrmyanmartravel.com/) when we went in 2011 and Jasmine was wonderful at arranging our holiday via email. She also kept in touch with us via telephone during the holiday to make sure all was well. As soon as you mention one agent on this forum you will get swamped with others recommending the agent they used - so please give it a try.

The last time I went on a long haul holiday arranged by a UK company it was Trailfinders and whilst they were efficient the local women who was looking after us in Bangkok was so miserable and resentful that it took some of the enjoyment out of the experience. Now I know this was nearly 30 years ago but ever since I have sort out local people to arrange our trips.

The first few times you think you are being stupid wiring large sums of money to people you have never met and feel sure that you will arrive at the airport and their will be no one to greet you. I can report this has never happened and all our local guides have been delightful and suspect we have been taken places that would not have been open to us otherwise (and we saved money!)

All the best with whatever you decide.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

We have been 3 times, the first time using a UK travel firm; the last 2 times, we have dealt directly with the original ground agent in Burma. The remark that more money will get to those on the ground will be true. Also, we were told by our first guide that the payment conditions with the UK company were not particularly 'healthy'. So, our advice will be: read what people on this forum have said about Burma-based companies and go straight to one of them. You will pay less and the people in Burma will get more.

London
Level Contributor
961 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

Spot on!

Shropshire, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. We have booked our flights, read lots of travel reports on here, and are now awaiting replies from two of the agents mentioned on here. Can't wait.

Thanks again.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

I am glad to hear that. I wrote to three recommended agents and they all got back to me quickly. I was most impressed with One Stop who carefully read what I wrote and gave a detailed proposal which we have been tweaking ever since. I have yet to go, so cannot say more at this point.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trailfinders 'Classic Burma' tour.

hi Bob L ,

would you mind posting the name of the local agent that your used.

If not, is it possible to private message me?

many thanks