We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days Myanmar without internal flights

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
15 days Myanmar without internal flights

Hi there,

Has anyone already done a (first) trip of around 15 days in Myanmar without taking any internal flight?

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend for next November and we would feel more "comfortable" not taking any internal flight. Is this possible at all?

Has anyone already done it? Could we be forced to miss some "unmissable"things?

Thanks

David

Wellington
Level Contributor
495 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 days Myanmar without internal flights

I travelled (in a leisurely way) Yangon - Bagan - Lake Inle - Yangon over 15 days using the train and buses. I did opt not to go to Mandalay as that would have meant less time in other places.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 06:41
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 days Myanmar without internal flights

I did a similar trip in about 24 days around and could have done it faster but we did a lot of side trips from various major points..and much of it you can see on the way...eg Pindaya on the way from Mandalaya to Inle for example. Going overland gives you a better feeling for what the countryside is like and I loved it, but then 9 hours in a car is not a problem for me..I love ground travel.

Level Contributor
510 posts
1,057 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 days Myanmar without internal flights

I did 20 days on buses and trains - Yangon-Inle-Pyin Oo Lwin-Hsipaw-Mandalay-Bagan-Kyaiktiyo. I looked at flights but they just didn't fit my schedule any better than buses. And the train to Hsipaw is great fun. The main issue is that most roads are poor and buses can be uncomfortable (my 2 overnight bus rides were very hard to sleep on). You can also try to arrange a car and driver for all or some of the trip, which would make it easier to see things along the way. A car will cost much more than buses but should be affordable for a group of 2 or more (I was alone).

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 days Myanmar without internal flights

If you are limited with time then fly.

5. Re: 15 days Myanmar without internal flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 06:15