We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

I have now started to see this edition in book shops. I am aware that the previous edition has come in for a lot of stick on this forum for being factually incorrect, in addition to the inevitability that because the country has changed so much and so rapidly in recent times, lots of the info was woefully out of date even where it had once been correct.

Has anybody had a chance to peruse this edition to establish whether - for the moment - it is correct and up to date and worth buying? We plan to travel in February/March 2015, if that helps answer my question, in terms of longevity of accuracy.

I have been using this forum with great success, thanks to the very active, willing and helpful DEs and other contributors, but do like to use a guidebook for background information. Is there any guidebook to Myanmar worth considering instead?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Nah, the information is outdated. Anything published this year contains info that is over 2 years old, and the prices will have doubled. Ask those of us who visit regulalry for updated information. There are a lot of local people postign here now too, so feel free to ask them as well.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,432 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

I was very critical of the earlier addition as it was so political and any hotel or business vaguely linked to the Government was excluded.The only use I found was some of the maps and itineraries.

The new edition has some awfully wrong information such as

" Myanmar foreign missions may also be suspicious of anyone whose passport shows two or more previous visits to Myanmar in a five-year period. Obviously the government can’t believe anyone would want to visit Myanmar more than once or twice"

Read more: lonelyplanet.com/myanmar-burma/…ixzz38U5YcYeL

What cock. I visit every year,sometimes twice,and there is never a query.

Have a read through some pages here and have fun identifying the errors and out of date info.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/myanmar-burma

This poster was banned on Thorntree for his outspoken criticisms of Lonely Planet.

Parts of his blog are very non pc but other of his links on budget Travel in Myanmar and Getting There are very useful.

http://montymanstravels.com/?page_id=5

You have been warned.

SS

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Thanks for the info. Given that it comes from M-n and SS, then I won't be wasting my money.

Of course, it does mean I will have to resort to asking constant questions on this forum as I am aware that even using the search function doesn't necessarily help, as old posts could be outdated as well.

Well, on I plod with research for the trip ..... see you on the forrums!

Thanks again,

SWT

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

That's what we're here for. We will gladly answer any questions you might have. :-)

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Any guidebook is just a jumping off point and the new LP book, despite the errors, does a pretty good job of covering a lot of bases - destinations, suggested itineries, travel, culture, food, language, politics, history, practicalities, etc.

Once you've covered the basics and formulated your general plans you can then get specific help from forums, read reviews of accommodation/restaurants and search for reliable up-to-date information on the important stuff.

Seasoned travel experts love to pick apart the LP but, personally, I've not found a better guide so I'd recommend it despite its shortcomings.

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

As for the banned Thorntree poster - he broke the posting guidelines and was accused of posting racist remarks. I don't personally think he was racist but he is such a bad writer that he didn't do himself any favours. He also took the whole thing very personally and has been a bit of an idiot ever since.

It's not fair to state that he was banned for his outspoken criticisms.

All a huge shame as he was a great source of information. Especially for backpackers looking to travel at the cheapest end of the spectrum. Maybe he'll join here.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 13:42
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,432 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Don't wish that on us.

I think it was he who said Thorntree was for backpackers who wanted to save money and Tripadvisor was for travellers who want to spend money.

He and I have corresponded frequently and his experiences over many years of travelling around Myanmar on his disability benefits have been a revelation ($550 for 2weeks-?) but regulars here would go bonkers with his lack of paragraphs,punctuation,spelling mistakes and his non pc views.The blog is his best vehicle but it would appear a ghost writer has tidied it up......

SS

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Exactly, SS. M is a very good cyber friend of mine as well. There is not a mean bone in his body, and it is a sad thing that people misinterpret his harmless prodding via cyberspeak. :-(

He offered invaluable advice to travelers there for many years. I had been a regular poster on TT for 10 years or so until they sold out, and the entire site was revamped, and many regular posters left as it had become too sterilized and hard to manage. (I can no longer get notifications and the PM system doesn't work, WTF?!)

In my honest opinion, people rely too much on guidebooks. You can get the exact same information online, and the up-to-date version no less, and either print that out or do as I do and have it on your ipad as to not waste paper. I had a lot of maps taken from the internet which I used for my last trip to Myanmar (on my ipad) and those were the most helpful tools I utilized on that trip.

Beckenham, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

I agree that the LP TP has lost a lot of its appeal but I have to say their approach is perfectly legitimate (and I wouldn't say they have sold out) but the sanitisation has left it a bit dull. Having said that I write from the perspective of a long time visitor and poster. If I was a newbie the absence of mean spirited regulars criticising me and arguing amongst themselves wouldn't bother me.

Whatever the rights and wrongs it seems clear to me that these TripAdvisor forums are superior. In many ways.

On the guidebooks issue, yes, some people rely on them way too much. I know some people who decide where they are going to stay based purely on the LP reviews! That may have been more of a necessity in the past but these days, with the internet resources and communication tools, it's just plain crazy.

However, when you have that initial idea of visiting a country you know next to nothing about the convenience of having a lot of information condensed into a little book is invaluable in my opinion. Yes, you can get all the info on the net but you have to know what to search for first. Plus guidebooks have information that most people would probably never bother searching for. Politics, history, language, food primers - take your pick - but if they are in the little book you bought you just might read it.

Oh, and don’t forget lots of the information online is out of date or incorrect too! Especially where Myanmar is concerned it seems. A mix of all options would be my advice - but use each properly.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lonely Planet June 2014 edition

Yes, if you have to use a guidebook, use it wisely. Don't have your nose constantly pressed into it during your travels. :-)