We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on my itinerary?

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Thoughts on my itinerary?

I'm traveling with three others to Myanmar in December. What follows is my proposed itinerary, and I wanted to get the feedback from those of you who have been before.

I'm still trying to figure out where I'd like to trek and am deciding between the Hsipaw area (currently in the lead) or Kalaw. I know there are a lot of questions about deciding between the two areas, but I'd love any additional thoughts or different recommendations. We're a fit, adventurous group, so a trek a little more on the primitive or difficult side would work!

Thanks in advance, for any help!

Day 0: (Dec 12) Arrival to Yangon, 6pm.

Day 1: (Dec 13) Visit Yangon

Day 2: (Dec 14) AM flight Mandalay

Day 3: (Dec 15) Around Mandalay. -- Paleik by motorbike to see the snake temple and Amarapura

Day 4: (Dec 16) Mandalay to Hsipaw

Day 5: (Dec 17) Trek around Hsipaw

Day 6: (Dec 18) Trek around Hsipaw

Day 7: (Dec 19) Trek around Hsipaw, return Mandalay

Day 8: (Dec 20) Mandalay – Bagan. (bus – 5 hours, or boat)

Day 9: (Dec 21) Bagan

Day 10: (Dec 22) Bagan

Day 11: (Dec 23) Flight Bagan to Lake Inle

Day 12: (Dec 24) Inle and surrounding villages (hope to see Nyaungshe market)

Day 13: (Dec 25) Inle area, surrounding villages

Day 14: (Dec 26) Afternoon flight Inle – Yangon.

Day 15: (Dec 27) Train trip Yangon – Mawlamyine

Day 16: (Dec 28) Motorbike trip around Mawlamyine.

Day 17: (Dec 29) Boat Mawlamyine – Hpa-an.

Day 18: (Dec 30) Motorbike trip in the surroundings of Hpa-an, bus back to Yangon.

Day 19: (Dec 31) Yangon

Day 20: (Jan 1) Yangon

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,084 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on my itinerary?

I'd say 2 days is enough for Hsipaw. On day 7 head to Bagan early in the morning.

I would also add another day to Inle, there's a lot to see and do there.

As for the Mawlyamine/ Hpa An leg of the trip, you simply will not have enough time if you go by train (excruciatingly slow) or bus. I recommend hiring a driver to take you from Yangon- Hpa An , stay the night, then spend another night in Mawlyamine. See more sights en route back to Yangon. Are you flying out of Yangon on Jan. 1? If so then head back from Mawlyamine on the 31st, spending your last night in Yangon.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on my itinerary?

For Day 3 , You need to be there before 11:00 AM when snake taking a bath & Lunch. Great view in Paleik is inside the village where many old temples, some still not renovated.

Taking train to Hsipaw from Mandalay or Pyin Oo Lwin is worth to do with Gokteik Viaduct for your Day 4.

Both place is good & nice, but Hsipaw trekking is less tourists than Kalaw where most do trek.

One of the best trekking route around Hsipaw is to Namhsan ( Currently closed this way for security ).

Maybe it will be opened again in near future, I hope!

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on my itinerary?

Thank you both for your advice. I really do want to trek out to Namhsan and hope that it does open again by the time we're out there.

4. Re: Thoughts on my itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2015, 06:15