We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Myanmar
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Self-Driving Tours into Myanmar has been the most interesting activities since the end of monsoon in 2014. The official border checkpoints are Tachileik – Maesai Checkpoint, Kawthaung-Ranaung Checkpoint, Myawaddy – Maesot Checkpoint, Moreh – Tamu Checkpoint, Hteke –Phunaron Checkpoint and Ruili – Muse Border Checkpoints.

There were many self-driving tour into Myanmar by car / motor bikes in 2014. The most used to entry points are Myawaddy – Maesot Border, Moreh – Tamu Border, Hteke –Phunaron Border and Ruili – Muse Border Checkpoint. Tachileik – Maesai Checkpint and Kawthaung – Ranaung Checkpint are not recommend for any type of self-driving tours into Myanmar.

The most important and necessary requirement for self-driving tours are;

Embassy Visa

International Driving License

The carnet de passage

Travel Permission

Route of the trip

Applying travel permission for self-driving tour into Myanmar will take about 3 weeks or 1 month to get the permission approval. Need help from the local travel agents for the travel permission. None of the tourist can’t apply travel permission to the concerned authority directly.

And there will have some mandatory policies for self-driving tourists. According to the policies of Hotel and Tourism in Myanmar, you will need to have a mandatory tour guide and a liaison officer for the whole trip until your departure from Myanmar.

Usually, all the border checkpoints are opened at 06:00Am and closed 06:00PM. But Myawaddy – Mae Sot border checkpoint recently extend the entry and exit time into 05:00Am – 08:00PM. For the local travel arrangement and travel permission, you will need help from the local tour operators.

Enjoy your self-driving driving tour into Myanmar!

57 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

It is very expensive to drive fromTachilek to Taungyyi with permits drivers guides etc evenn if you have own car and carnet rethink this one we've waited 60 years for this but maybe nota as easy as you think even if now you can do it from thailand to ndia throughyanmar

Myanmar
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

As I mentioned, Tachileik – Maesai Checkpint and Kawthaung – Ranaung Checkpint are not recommended for any type of self-driving tours into Myanmar. All the information is more than a thought for self-driving trip into Myanmar.

Hope it will help!

Edited: 09 March 2015, 10:22
Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

hey i'm planning a rod trip of sorts from Bangkok to Naypyidaw how realistic is it to want to buy a car in Thailand drive it to Naypyidaw while sight seeing over 1 month and then sell the car in sight before flying out of the country.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
17,710 posts
404 reviews
4. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Don't even think of it,even if you get it into Myanmar you will not be able to sell it there.

SS

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

the tricky bit would be getting in or coming out? what if we come back out of Myanmar by car?

Myanmar
Level Contributor
475 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Just my thought!

If you will buy the car in Thailand and drive into Myanmar and visit for some days. Then, drive back into Thailand from another border and sell out in Bangkok. ;)

If your local agent already arranged for your required permission and documents before your arrival, you will not face any tricky situation in getting in or out.

Good Luck!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

friend of mine checked last week as they wanted to do a 4 wheel drive adventure

told $3,000, tons of paperwork and about 1 month via a agent

Thomas you HAVE to bring it back out, you will not be able to sell it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

'If your local agent already arranged for your required permission and documents before your arrival, '

so that is the MAIN point to note....it is not really 'self-driving' in the sense Thomas has in mind...you have to arrange it thru an agent who has to arrange permissions etc...

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,137 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Just hire a driver, give some local people a job...

1 post
2 reviews
10. Re: Self-Driving Into Myanmar

Hi there

I'm planing a trip around the world. I planed to go from India through Myanmar to get to Thailand. So meanwhile this should be possible right? Can I arrange everything in India (I'm an citizen from Luxembourg) the visa, travel permission etc. Or do I need to arrange those things up front from home?

Thx ;-)

Reply to: Self-Driving Into Myanmar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted