We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us or myanmar currency

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
us or myanmar currency

I am curious about costs that afre listed in uS dollars for taxis etc. I assume that people don't go round using usd or myanmar currency. Where do people generally change their currency and do they have any problems changing it back at the airport

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,527 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us or myanmar currency

US $ is the backbone of tourist currency but off the beaten track your will need Kyats.

No problem changing $ and there is always competition to get a good rate - your guide will help,forget hotels and only change enough as kyats are useless outside Burma.

Only take up to date US$ and the newer the better - $100 are favourite for hotels/flights but shiny $1's,$5's and $10's are great for tips,lunches and shopping.

There are still FEC's in circulation which have the same value as US$ but the rules about having to buy these on entry have lapsed(see lonely planet or similar)

Not sure current rate(has been 900-1150 to the $ over the years) but no doubt a Yangon poster will correct me.

Geoff

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: us or myanmar currency

Thanks Geoff by the way I emailed your friend at the school

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: us or myanmar currency

On Friday, 28-3-08 , it is 1130 kyats for one USD .

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us or myanmar currency

thanks mg

5. Re: us or myanmar currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 05:28