We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip to Bago

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Topic
A day trip to Bago

Good day ,

I would like to know if a day trip to Bago is really worth it under these circumstances.

On my last day in Myanmar we fly in the morning to Yangoon from Bagan. My husband and I will arrive around 10:30. am. I understand that the trip by car takes about 3 1/2 hours.

We leave the following morning towards Laos via Bangkok. It will be a very long day for us. We don't get to Vientiane until 8:30 pm or so.

I have read about the pros and cons of Bago but I want the honest opinion of people that have been there and experienced the sights first hand.

I am just thinking that it would be too many hours in a car roundtrip in one day. If the sights are outstanding and different from what I will be seeing in 8 days, the I am more than willing to make the tiring, long trip.

All feedback and suggestions greatly appreciated. I am sure that I can find a few things to do in Yangoon for a half day and evening.

Again, many thanks!

yangon
Destination Expert
for Bagan
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip to Bago

Not a value idea to visit Bago at the end of your trip.Comparing to Bagan , Mandalay , this city couldn't get worthy to visit on your last days in Myamar.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip to Bago

Many thanks SawYangon!

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip to Bago

You won't see much in Bago that you won't be able to see in Yangon, if you had a few days to kill in Yangon it would be ideal but as you haven't, stay in Yangon.

The round trip in a car takes about 3hrs.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip to Bago

I can't remember whether you said in one of your previous posts that you'll be spending time in Yangon on your arrival?

If so & you still want to get some sights in, you can always just hire a car for the day & head to Hlawga National Park & Taukkyan War Cemetery, both are in very close proximity to each other & both up the Bago Road about 40kms outside Yangon. You can Google both for info on them.

Once back in Yangon in the late afternoon, you could visit the resting place of the Last Mughal Indian Emperor, Bahadur Shah Zafa. It's not hugely elaborate compared to some other sites in the country but it's an amazing piece of history which pretty much everyone overlooks when they visit here. Just down the road from the mausoleum is an extremely beautiful mirrored pagoda, again, both are very close to each other.

Just Google Maps ' Bahadur Shah Zafar Grave, Zi Wa Ka St, Yangon, Yangon Division, Myanmar' for directions. The mirrored pagoda is located about 2mins south on the Shwedagon Pagoda Rd.

Edited: 03 May 2010, 02:18
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip to Bago

I made the one day trip to Bago this February. I must say that I agree with the two posters from Yangon.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
889 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip to Bago

Yes, BonZaiReserVoir, we will be in Yangoon at the beginning of our trip.

We will be able to see Sule pagoda, Shwedagon Pagoda on our first afternoon and the following half day: Chaukhtatgyi, Karaweik Hall, Bogyoke (Scott's Market).

On our last day, we can substitute Bago with some of these wonderful suggestions.

I will check out information about each this week and then select.

Many thanks!!!!

7. Re: A day trip to Bago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:18