We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport system in Yangon

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Transport system in Yangon

Hi all,

Is there any public transport from the airport to the city?

And is it easy to get around in the city via public transport (i.e. bus/train)

I am planning a free and easy backpacking trip.

Would appreciate if any of you can give me some advises on cheapest travel options to attractions nearby (example Shwedagon Pagoda)

Thank you!! :)

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport system in Yangon

Which hotel or guest house do you intend to stay ?

Like Mother Land Inn 2 offer free airport pick up .

With your bags, public transport is difficult for you to go city from airport.

However , if you really love to go , you have to walk for about 15~20 minutes to main road (Pyay Road) and you can go with buses .

Airport to city downtown will cost around USD 5~6 with taxi.

The buses are cheapest , but too crowded .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport system in Yangon

Hey thanks for your prompty reply mgzaymin.

I have not booked any guest house, but as recommened by a lot of you here, most likely I will stay in Mother Land Inn 2.

As I am on backpacking, I am not bringing a lot of clothes, so no big bag for me to carry.

Is the bus in Myanmar really that bad? When I tried to google, I couldn't find much information about public transport there. That's why I asked here.

And if I stay in Mother Land Inn 2, is it accessible to most of the major tourist attractions around?

Thank you.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport system in Yangon

I think the great thing about the roads in Yangon is that 2 and 4-stroke mopeds are completely banned.....but the roads in Mandalay can be a nightmare.

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport system in Yangon

There are some buses and train from A/P to city. But it is too complicated. The easiest way is sharing a taxi. Mother Land Inn 2 is cheap and good enough but a bit far from the city center. There are some cheap guest houses in the center also. Beauty Land 2 Hotel, Okinawa Guest House, May Fair Inn are not so bad.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,567 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport system in Yangon

Having seen the local buses many times over the years my candid thoughts are you have to be very brave and quite small to travel on them-or a local.

Your best bet is to find an hotel or GH near the center of town so you can walk to most sites.

What is your nightly budget so you can get good local recommendations?

Thorntree forum has a strong following amongst diy back packers so it may be worth having a look at their very active Myanmar forum.

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport system in Yangon

The Thorntree forum is very active but they say the same about buses

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport system in Yangon

As mentioned above, a shared taxi from the airport is the best way to go, most will be heading to the downtown area. If you're looking for budget GH under $10 then the Garden GH & Maha Bandoola GH right opposite the Sule Pagoda are very central. Check the rooms beforehand though, some are better than others.

Buses round town are fine & are extremely inexpensive. Most tourists won't bother with them as the taxis are fairly cheap but the buses are fun & far more sociable than getting cabs. Hang around one of the bus stations/stops that are scattered around the downtown area & just ask for the bus you want, you'll always get a handful of people to point you in the right direction. Buses cost in the region of 10-20cents a ride.

There's a train that does a circular route of Yangon everyday & which I leaves every hour or so, you'll get to see the Yangon suburbs, takes about 3hrs to complete the loop but you can jump off at any station & take a look about, there's some good street markets at many of the stops. if you've had enough half way through just jump on a bus back downtown.

Just wandering around Yangon is an attraction in itself, plenty of old, decaying colonial buildings; churches, mosques, temples & one synagogue to check out. The river front is always teeming with activity & plenty to photograph there.

Gonvick, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport system in Yangon

i think public transport there is not very convinience.

I think you should taketaxi from the airport

9. Re: Transport system in Yangon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 06:15