We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

We will arrive Yangon at around 7.30pm.(mid of June). Is van (micro bus) available at the airport and how much it will cost to go to Traders Hotel? Can anybody tell the present conversion rate of Kyat with US$? Where is the better place for exchange?

Also pls let me know, if there is any good but not expensive restaurant nearby Traders?

Thanks.

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Yes. There is Golden Swallow Taxi group. They'll charge about US$ 12.

Yesterday, it was 780 Kyats for 1 US$ ( big note ).

What sort of restaurant you are talking about? Chinese, European or Typical food?

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Thanks Mr. KKYM.

We'll prefer Chinese and Typical Asian (sub-continent) food.

Do I need to book for van of Golden Swallow Taxi group inside the airport? We'll reach Myanmar at around 7.30pm.

How can we spend the 4/5 days time in Yangon (within the town only).

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

IS there Indian or Burmese restaurant nearby Traders hotel? How long they are open at night (we reach there at 7.30-8 pm). How far is Anawratha Road from Traders? (I heard that, there are some Indian Restaurant)

In 4 days what might be the Must visit places?

Thanks. :-)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Danuphyu Daw Saw Yi is an excellent Burmese restaurant on 29th street, but many tourists I met said they didn't care for Burmese food! I ate there twice, and ate Burmese food the duration of my trip, it is delicious!

For things to do, have a look at this page

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g294191-Activiti…

Yangon
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

There are a lot of restaurant near by Traders hotel, but the if you would like to eat, all Asian food at the same place, you should go to the Monsoon restaurant. they served Myanmar, combodia, Lao and Thai food etc. Walk 10 minute from Traders hotel, www.monsoonmyanmar.com

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

I learned from a friend who is working ina Yangon travel acency, that the rate on 4.June was 788 Kyat for 1 US$. (when we visited Myanmar in Feb.2011, we`ve got 1000 Kyat). The bigger the 4 -note is, the better the exchange rate is. 100$ notes get the best price. The notes have to been clean (no remarks on them!) and in good condition.

Taxi from Airport to Swedagon Pagoda was appr. 7$ .

There is a good Thai-Restaurant in the City, But I don`t remember the name.

Have a nice day

Helmut

yangon
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Yesterday , June 08 , the price fall to 760 kyats per dollar for usd 100 notes.

Asia
Level Contributor
362 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

for heaven's sake, why is that ?????

how can the $ fall almost 25% within 5 months ?????

that's going to make everything much more expensive.... thanks god, hotel rates are still in $ (and those u can book online still competitive)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,082 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

As we previously mentioned, currencies fluctuate. When I was in Myanmar at the end of December, I exchanged $ in Yangon at the rate of 840. Duringmy trip, in Bagan, the kyat had gone down to 730 and even 700 in other areas. They did not want my dollars, so I had to pay for everything in kyat those few days. 2.5 weeks later, the kyat was fluctuating at the 780 level when I returned to Yangon.

If you're finding things to be expensive, you can lower your comfort level a bit. Instead of a $60 hotel, there are plenty in the $40 and even $20 range, etc etc etc...Don't book hotels online, you will end up paying more than the rack rates! Have a local agent book it for you, or just find a hotel once you get there.

Singapore
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Fare & Exchange Rate

Hi, let me share my experience here. If I did not experience it myself, I too might not believe that Myanmar currency (kyats)can fluctuate so much.

I exchanged Sing dollars in Sep 2008 and Jan 2009 in Yangon. I got 880 kyats for 1 Sing dollar in Sep '08 and 680 kyats for 1 Sing dollar in Jan '09.

Hard to digest but it is true. That is a drop of 22 %.

The thing here is we never know how the rate will move......