We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VOA.. cannot give up passport

San Diego...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
VOA.. cannot give up passport

Hi I am planning a trip to Burma in May. I also am a Interentaional Flight attendant at a major US airline. I can't give up my passport for 3 weeks to process a visa.. as I have to work:-)

Is there any other way than VOA? that seems to be "on" one day, off the next! Is BKK the only option? What are the current wait times at some of the embassies here in the US? anyone know? and if I took time off to process the visa in Feb. but don't go til may or early June, will it expire, Sometimes Vias have to be activated rather quickly. Thanks for any input.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

I am not an expert but from what I have read, VOA is possible if you go through an agent sanctioned to do so However they attached a tour/guide to it that you must do. You might want to contact one of the embassies to see what they suggest. The only other thing that I have read is that if you fly from Siem Reap Cambodia that you can get a VOA but I am not sure.

When a visa is issued it is good for entry with in 3 monthsof the issue date for a 28 day stay. If will not be valid 3mos after it is issued.

Hope this helps a bit

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,542 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

As jocee states,you can get a VOA only if you fly into Yangon from Siem Reap or Chang Mai.

From what I understand, if you book a tour package with a Myanmar Agency they can arrange a VOA for you without having to give up your passport.

Local experts may be able to confirm this.

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

I think there is two way as you do not fly in from Siem Reap or Guangzhou, hopefully.

VOA was suspended since Sept 2010. But prearranged VOA is still available.

1. Apply prearranged VOA through a local agent. You need to send 16 No. of data + PP copy ( Scan ) + Recent Photo ( Scan ). You do not need to send your actual PP. It'll take about 3 weeks and will cost US$ 60/ person ( including visa fees ).

2. Stop by at BKK. Go to Myanmar Embassy. Do not hire any agent. Go yourself and ask for help. But need to show your air ticket ( Ygn-Bkk-Ygn ) and an approval letter from your travel agent saying that you have already bought a package tour in Myanmar ( of course, you need to buy some travel arrangement from them ). Then you'll get it in one day.

3. Visa is valid for 3 months. If you get it in Feb and do not enter till May, it should expire. Count 3 months after issue date.

Hope it'll help you.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
198 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

Thanks everyone.

Thanks KKYM for remarking about a ticket from ygn-bkk-ygn. I usualyy have e-tickets and that would have been a problem for me in BKK.

Not clear on one issue. If I go to BKK and do it myself, do I still need to have a guide lined up and show proof of a package tour? I was planning on figuring it all out when I get there.

Can I just go to Bkk for 24 hours with all my applications ready and tickets and then fly to YGN and then find a tour guide? Thanks

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,542 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

Personally i would give it 2 days in BKK for your Visa and check the dates for Embassy closures (hols etc)

I think if you have pre arranged your hotels/internal flights in Myanmar with an Agent that will be sufficient, leaving you free to arrange guides when you need them

SS

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

YES, I would suggest pre-arrange "myanmar tourist visa" service by some travel agent without giving you headache even you can pay service fees online.

Have a nice trip to Myanmar Burma.

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

Does anybody have any recommendations on what travel agent to use that is reliable and quick? I am currently looking to travel there in 2 and a half weeks but can't stop by the BKK embassy nor the one in the US (Washington). I've seen the myanmarvisa.com service but it looks like their service got suspended according to the lonelyplanet forums? Thanks!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,542 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

Try Tour Mandalay,One Stop Travel & Tours or Noble Travel.

All have been mentioned in the last month as arranging VOA,

9. Re: VOA.. cannot give up passport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2013, 10:22