We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yangon to Bagan flights

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Yangon to Bagan flights

I am planning my first trip to Mynamar in early June. Unfortunately this will only be a short 3 full day trip. As such, I plan to cover 1 day in Yangon and 2 days in Bagan (traveling by air to save time). Can anyone advise about the schedule, safety and on-time reliability of the carriers that service the Yangon-Bagan route? As I will be traveling at the start of the travel season so service relability is important to reduce the risk of missing my long-haul flight from Yangon at the end of the trip.

I have looked up Air Bagan website but it loads up very slowly and can't seem to figure out what is the destination city as I can't see Bagan as a destination option.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,857 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

All internal airlines base their aircraft overnight in Yangon and start their schedules early morning from there. Weather is obviously a factor in timings-fog in the winter and monsoon in the summer.

At least 2, and sometimes all, have their first stop at NYAUNG U (the airport name for Bagan)

Most summer schedules are up here:-

http://www.airkbz.com/flight-schedule.html

http://www.airmandalay.com/

http://www.airbagan.com/

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Many thanks for the schedule and explanation. I will be arriving on Sat at 8.50 am in Yangon and wanted to transit straight through to Bagan. I was told, through a local travel agent, that the best connecting flight would depart at 14.00 hr to arrive in Bagan at 17.00 hr (i.e. a 3 hour flight!). However on the return leg, the flight from Bagan to Yagoon would only be a 1.5 hour fight. Do you happen to know how the routing works as I can't seem to find that looking through the airline websites. Thanks for your help with this.

Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Hi Passionate_Traveler7

I am not sure what domestic airline local agent is referring to. Most air lines fly to Naungu (Airport for Bagan) and if it is a direct flight from Yangon, it usually takes 1 hour 20 minutes. But if the flight is via Mandalay or Heho (Airport for Naungshwe & Inle), it can take longer. .

Returning from Bagan, Air KBZ & Yangon Airways have flights departing 8.40am and arriving Yangon 10am (Yangon Airways) or 11.45 (Air KBZ) Most other flights depart Bagan in the afternoons.

However, not knowing what day or time for your international flight out of Yangon, I can only suggest to have at least a full day or an overnight stay in Yangon after returning from Bagan. June is in the monsoon season and internal flights can be delayed.

Hope above is of some help.

Yangon
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

welcome to Myanmar

Yangon to Bagan flight are Air Bagan, Air Mandaly, Air KBZ,Yangon Airways and Asian wings, departure morning flight and afternoon flight. They are daily flight. Just try to check with local agent.

Have a nice trip

Asia
Level Contributor
903 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Please excuse me if my question has been asked & answered before, but do these 3 airlines don't accept online booking & payment?

I checked Air Mandalay and came to the stage which shows "Submit Booking Request" so I have an impression that they still use the classic paper ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

All the advice here seems to say to use a local Agent for flights and hotels and a recent comment says they still use hand written paper tickets.

Asia
Level Contributor
903 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Are you serious that they use **hand written** tickets? LOL. Thanks val-leasowe. I didn't expect such a funny thing! Sounds like bus ticket selling to me.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,857 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Wsea

Myanmar is like no other country-airline tickets are handwritten, internet is intermittent and your mobile phone will not work unless you buy a local SIM.A lady tourist moaned she could not download books onto her kindle in Bagan, poor thing!.Most taxis are right hand drive and drive on the right and if you saw the local buses you would realise why there is no airport/city bus service. and out of the main towns electricity is intermittent with hotels dependent on generators.

It is a time warp but it is a marvelous country with the most charming of people- visit soon before it joins the 21st century.

Asia
Level Contributor
903 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

Thanks Silver for the information. So now I know what to expect before I arrive. Not a shock to me as most of us travel to see how they live in that part of the world.

I'm not surprised about the right hand drive as I think a lot of countries are like that. When you said "most taxis are right hand drive", I guess some taxis are left hand drive. They must import from a neighboring country then.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,857 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yangon to Bagan flights

I think most neighboring countries in SEAsia drive on the left,with a right hand drive car (India,Japan,Korea,Thailand etc) and I believe Korea/Japan is were the second hand imports come from.

Burma,as it was then,drove on the left until the late U Win, after consulting his Nats, decided to change the country over to driving on the right,in spite of the fact that all the vehicles in the country were right hand drive and most of his neighbors (except ex French Colonies) drove on the left.

Until recently only the pals of the Generals could afford to pay the extortionate bribe (sorry fee) to import a new left hand drive car-usually an SUV.

Edited: 14 June 2012, 11:04