We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colonial Architecture

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Colonial Architecture

Going to Yangon this month to look at colonial architecture. Has anyone had a guided tour or talked to any architects about these lovely old buildings?

Any recommendations for day trips outside of Yangon?

Thanks!

Yangon Urban Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Let's Go Myanmar Travels & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
7Days Travel and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colonial Architecture

Google came up with these:-

www.asiasentinel.com/index.php…

and these photos

www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/rangoon&page=all

and in answer to your last question-my recent post is here about day trips outside Yangon

tripadvisor.co.uk/…44979164

Somerville...
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colonial Architecture

Another interesting piece I came across recently, with a small slideshow of particularly evocative images to go with it. Maybe it was the weather?

…wsj.com/scene/…

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,737 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colonial Architecture

Yangon has quite a lot of old colonial buildings that are not necessarily well known...I spent a day or so just strolling around and finding buildings that had once been used and were now empty and crumbling, or that were still in use as living quarters and were still crumbling.

Best known is the Strand hotel but that was disappointing. Evidently the entire city was bombed quite a bit in WWII but do just walk around neighborhoods and you will see a lot. I think the LP has a walking tour they recommend but I didn't look at it. I thought the old Foreign Ministry building on the street next to Monsoon was lovely...an entire city block and evidently they haven't found a new use for it yet after the capitol was moved to Naypidaw.

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colonial Architecture

Hey silverswimmer, did you find any good architectural guides when you went to Yangon?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colonial Architecture

I did some 15 years ago but my contacts are now lost. There are some very knowledgeable professional guides that can introduced by local Agents.

SS

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colonial Architecture

There is a book called 30 Heritage Buildings of Yangon which has been put together by the Association Of Myanmar Architects...a group committed to preservation of quality buildings. It has 30 key buildings including a walking tour map of where they are. I can list them for you if you'd like or you may have time to get the book. Theres a Yangon Heritage Trust, founded by Dr Thant Myint-U. Dont have their contact details but can also give you the name of a Yangon architect who is committed to heritage preservation. Hope this helps. My husband visited these buildings by himself, no guide and got some beautiful photos.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colonial Architecture

Do go before they tear down these old buildings to make way for modern boutique hotels which I am very much against! These heritage buildings should be renovated and kept in good condition for future generations to remind them of the country's history in general, and its colonial past in particular. Dr Thant Myint-U is the person to contact. He has written several excellent books in English about Myanmar. Also search in YouTube to watch videos about these buildings in Yangon. Type 'colonial-era buildings in yangon.'

8. Re: Colonial Architecture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 06:18