We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

Bangkok, Thailand
3 posts
Save Topic
How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

Hello,

I would like to know whether it would be possible to book the domestic flight via any domestic airlines website in Myanmar or not.

I am trying to book for one-way ticket Bagan(NYU)-Yangon(RGN), but it seems to be very hard to get the exact price and pay by the credit card.

What cost should this be around? I'm now looking for Yangon Airways as the price seem to be ok, but don't know to book that summer price actually.

Also, I always book a hostel via hostelworld website; however, there is no hostel available to book in Myanmar from this site.

Anybody has any suggestion for this? Please kindly advise :))

Thank you ;)

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

You cannot book Airline flights in Myanmar by Credit Card.

Only one airline accepts on-line bookings with payment on arrival,in $'s, in Yangon.

http://www.airmandalay.com/

or for hotels and airline bookings such as Yangon Air use a local Agent.

Many recommended here-input Agents into the spyglass search feature above,

SS

Billericay, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

we have just come out of myanmar - we flew into yangon with only the first nights booked - the guy at our hotel booked all the flights for us - no credit card payments at all in myanmar - take brand spanking new dollar notes.

price from yangon to bagan one way was approx $45. the budget backpacker hotels are a bit rough but servicable - not sure how bad the hostels will be - we paid $30 for 2 of us - if you would like more info please feel free to contact me ok i have saved names phone numbers etc.

Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

Hostels as backpackers know them do not operate in Myanmar. There are some dorms in Yangon ($10), but stays in your own room (clean, TV, ac, fridge) are often just a few dollars more at guesthouses in Yangon (eg $14 or $18 with own bathroom). $10-15 single rooms were around but rare when I travelled last month at the major destinations (Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle) - posted elsewhere. Couchsurfers exist but can't host you - against the law!

Its a step back in time where bookings are made by phone (accommodation usually ring ahead for you or book transport), payment is by US$ you need to carry & Kyat for smaller items - now available from ATMs or exchanged for US$, internet & power may be out for most of day, and most people are so friendly.

Don't try any online booking within Myanmar with a credit card or PayPal - you will run into trouble with USA financial embargo as I did - see tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k…

Credit card payments are coming sometime soon (likely to be major hotels & businesses first) - CB Bank are promoting businesses to register tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k…

Edited: 09 March 2013, 14:31
Warsaw, Poland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

I am going to Mandalay/Bagan/Inle Lake in few days and don't have anything booked yet as for accommondation. Is it possible to find some budget hostels/guesthouses at place?

I tried to find some in the internet but couldn't find any. I have also heart that it is sooo expensie like 50 USD per day. Is that ture?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

yes, now the hotels , even in Mandalay are quite expensive. But I think it s still possible to find rooms under 50$ in Mandalay, perhaps Silver Swan or Unity

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

Suggest you ask your guesthouse in Yangon to phone ahead and find rooms for you

veldhoven
Level Contributor
50 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

I think 45$ is a very low price!

If I contact an travelagent or even the aircompany itself they send me prices around 121$ one way!

Maybe I should not book right now, but just wait untill I'm in Myanmar!

I was hoping that Golden Myanmar would expand its services with flights to Heho....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

We found using a travel agent in Yangon was our best choice. We'd emailed Windy with our request to; tour2@myanmarholiday.com, she organised our flights & confirmed them before we left the UK.

Just to give you some idea of prices we paid $145 for a flight Bagan - Thandwe via Heho and Thandwe to Yangon $109, this was mid & late February 2013.

We picked up our tickets from the office in Yangon and paid cash & as per usual make sure all the bills are unmarked or creased.

Hope that helps

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

thanks McCowie.

I see you visited Ngapali Beach-perhaps you would be so good to write your hotel and restaurant reviews so as to help future travellers.

SS

Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to book domestic flight and find a hostel in Myanmar?

We never booked ahead and (for the most part) never had issues during our 2.5 week trip in February, whcih is the busiest time. The most we ever paid for a room was $35 and we had AC and a bathroom practically every night.

You can read more about our trip at http://erohisms.com. I have all the costs and hotel names there under logistics. Hope this helps!