We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
15 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

Greetings, dropping in for two days to Yangon by Cruise ship, 0800 22 Feb 2014 to 0830 24 Feb 2014. The Ship's shore excursions are quite expensive and its unlikely that much of the money would end up with the local suppliers. We would prefer that what we spend ends up in the local economy, so we would appreciate any advice on a two day itinerary and reputable local agents . We are aware of the visa requirements and are seeking same from local Embassy in Australia.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

Hi there,

Look through the things to do section and the 'top questions' on the right side of this page for ideas of what you'd like to see and do, and of course read through previous trip reports.

Use the search field above to look for specific information as well as for agents - there are a few that are recommended frequently.

I'm not sure how much time you'll get (i.e. what time the ship arrives and departs), but I would recommend simply walking around the main sights of the city yourself, and hiring a taxi to take you to Shwedagon temple for late afternoon/sunset. My blog has info and photos of our couple of days in Yangon too …blogspot.com.au/2013/05/myanmar-part-1-yang…

Hope this helps,

- K

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

By inputting "Cruise ship visit" into the above search feature many threads came up,this one being the most pertinent to your enquiry.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…36681912

If this does not answer your questions then It may be worth sending a PM to those posters who experienced the visit by cruise ship.

hope this helps

SS

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

Dear Rastus,

We really appreciate your point on supporting the local economy. You can visit Yangon and Bago on these two days. I would like to recommend as follows:

Day 1 Yangon : Visit Shwedagon Pagoda, Downtown visit to heritage buildings of Yangon including the Strand Hotel, most famous the Scott Market

Day 2 Bago : 1 1/2 hr drive from Yangon and you will visit stunning reclining Buddha, various crafts shops and magnificent paddy field on the way will be a relaxing trip.

Thanks.

Regards,

Thant

Yangon, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon)
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

As far as I know, the cruise will take care about the visa. You just need to pay for it.

Please make sure where does it anchored. If it is a big cruise they will be at Thilawar Port. It's about 1 hr drive from city.

The easiest way is take a shuttle bus ( They usually offer shuttle buses between cruise and Traders Hotel ). Let your guide and car wait for you there. Make Sightseeing and back with the latest shuttle bus.

Hope it'll help something.

KK

5. Re: Two Day visit by Cruise Ship - What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19