We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Rock

Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Rock

I noted one person reviewing Golden Rock mentioned preparing for the cold evening. Since I understand that we will have to walk some distance, to the top at Golden Rock, I am trying to ensure we do not carry anything unnecessary. Is it necessary to have warmer clothes at the top? (We intend to leave most of our luggage with a driver until we return the next day).

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Rock

It is really necessary to carry your warm clothes for top of Mountain. There are more colder than flat plain, I sure.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Rock

Hi natandmiriam,

You can walk start at the middle camp, around about 45 mins walk up to the top. Mostly top of the mountain is cold. So that you should take your warm clothes surely.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Rock

I have been there and have stayed at the top twice, both times at teh end of December. The weather was very mild, and all you would need is a fleece jacket at most. It is blazing hot in the daytime and you will be sweating buckets hiking up that hill. Nowhere near as chilly as Bagan, Inle or even further up north where it gets downright freezing in the cold months.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Rock

Hi there,

When are you going? We were there in May and it was cooler on the top of the mountain, but it was still OK for 3/4 pants and tee-shirt - even late at night. But I hear in Dec-Feb, it'll be very cool and you will need a fleece (like good old Melbourne weather today)... Also, you can check at the truck station at the bottom which ones go all the way to the top, and others that stop at the middle camp... that last km is steep and we were so happy not to have to walk in the crazy heat. I've posted some photos and story on my blog : …blogspot.com.au/2013/08/myanmar-part-3-gold…

Hope this helps,

- K

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Rock

Hey, the walk up that steep slope is really good exercise! :-)

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Rock

No jacket needed two weeks ago at sunset or sunrise.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Rock

If you are sensitive to the cold like me, bring a thin layer of fleece just in case. I wasn't cold at night but at 6:00am it did get quite chilly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Rock

It would have been great exercise, but in 40+ heat under the baking sun... it also would have been torture ! We were expecting to do it, and had read about it so were prepared. It was just a fluke that our driver told us to get in the 2nd truck that went all the way...

Definitely best to have a fleece or wrap for the night up there. I'm very cold sensitive and found it OK, but right at sunset, the wind came up and the clouds down, and it was a little cool. But in Myanmar winter, I'm guessing it would be much cooler...

- K

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Rock

K-

Yes, it is super-hot durign the day there, but I have no problem with heat. I actually did that second trip to the rock in order to hike all the mountain ranges in the immidiate area in 2 days. I ended up going up that d*mn slope twice as I had gone down a mountain at the end of the day and ended up at the bus terminus.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
60 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Rock

Many thanks for your input - it really helps especially when you can compare climate to home!