We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

Hi - my mother is planning to visit Myanmar in January, I would like to order a local prepaid GSM sim card and have it installed in her phone and ready to go before she arrives. Is there an online vendor that I can order and have one delivered?

Thanks!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,987 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

The only thing I can suggest is you do what I did and asked my Agent to pre buy a SIM for me and advise me of the number before arrival.

I am sure your Agent would do the same,and load the SIM for your Mum and ensure it worked.

If he won't then you have chosen the wrong agent.....!

SS

canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

Can micro SIMs (suitable for iPhone 4) be found locally? What I was reading is that these are not yet available, so I was hoping to get a regular one and properly cut it down here before departing. By the time she arrives she will not be comfortable with doing this.

Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

Unlike people travelling to Myanmar earlier, in late October 2013 we were unable to buy SIM cards for any foreign phones. We were told that all sales of SIM cards for foreign phones had been blocked by the government recently. We could hire a SIM card for $US10 per day, minimum 5 days, at Yangon airport. We didn't accept this offer.

The information re SIM card sales was given to us by our Myanmar travel agency and repeated by numerous locals, both in and out of the travel industry.

While in Myanmar we read in the Myanmar Engish language Press that SIM cards for foreign phones would be available for sale during the SEA Games in Yangon in December 2013. Perhaps these will continue to be available after the games finish.

Check with a source on the ground in Myanmar. In September, the Vietnam representative of our (Myanmar) travel agency said "no problem buying a SIM card in Yangon, everyone does it". When she checked with the agency's Myanmar office, she was told that this was no longer possible.

Even with the rented SIM card, I understand that it would not be possible to send texts/SMS from Myanmar. We found email the best way to communicate outside the country. Our guides used their mobiles for any communications we needed to make in Myanmar.

Mandalay, Myanmar
Destination Expert
for Mandalay Region, Myanmar
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

You ca get SIM Card in now. It is only 20000 kyats. Here is link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g295408-i11091-k70…

canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

Thanks for the info, but clearly things are changing daily. Ideally I would prefer the certainty of a sim card in hand before departure.

I have found one website (simcardsasia) that believes they can sell me a Thai SIM card that they believe can roam in Myanmar. This would suit my needs because this would only be in case of emergency.

canada
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

By the way, are the sim cards that are available at the moment available in microSIM, or would it be expected the dealers know how to trim them down to fit into an iPhone 4?

Mandalay Region...
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

Some SIM cards are sold as micro, and for those that are not, most vendors/phone shops will have a cutter to re-size the SIMs.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

How about nano sim cards? Available too?

9. Re: Can I order SIM cards online before visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2015, 06:17