We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

I am planning my third trip to Myanmar and have secured a sponsorship form for a meditation visa which lasts for three months. I do want to do some meditation at a monastery but also want to travel a bit and hopefully do some voluntary work.

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel by air/bus and get accommodation with a meditation visa? For example I have been told that it is difficult, but possible to get accommodation if one overstays a tourist visa. Does the same apply for meditation visas?

Thanks as usual.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Hi Tracy(prospectsQ),

You can take accommodations and transporations everywhere I think.

You can also check also these sites,

mecanberra.org/news/…37-meditation-visa

myanmar-embassy-tokyo.net/visainfo/medi.htm

ST

Dundee, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Hi Tracy

I know this isn't tan answer to you're question but I am very interested in doing a similar thing in April, could you give me any pointers?

Dundee, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Hi there,

I'm sorry to be nosey but I really would like to do a similar trip in April, could you give me any pointers?

Many thanks

D

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Thank you very much superthi. I checked out those sites but didn't manage to get much info. I probably need to speak to someone who has been there on a meditation visa. I do appreciate your help though.

Dionne. It is definitely possible to stay at a monastery if you are a female. Lots of people do it for a night or two on treks or if they cannot find any other accommodation. Check out the many helpful posts by putting key words into the spy glass. If you have never been to Myanmar before then a normal 28 day holiday visa its very likely the best thing for you. The visa I am talking about requires you to get a sponsorship form which I got by actually going into a monastery meditation centre when I was last in Myanmar.

Have a great time when you do go!

Port Saint Lucie...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

You cannot travel around the country on a meditation visa. Take a look at the meditation visa application form. The monastery that sponsors you is responsible for you the entire time you are in the country. You can either travel on a tourist visa or meditate on a meditation visa. It used to be possible to stay at a monastery for a week or so on a tourist visa but it seems as if that is no longer possible. The government is making things tough.

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Thanks Dave

I only just noticed your reply.

The Myanmar Embassy website doesn't seem to have a visa application form for a meditation visa- just tourist and business. The sponsorship form does not have much info either.

I do intend to meditate but also want to stay in Yangon for a couple of nights on arrival and at some point to fly to visit friends near Inle lake and volunteer for a week at their local orphanage.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on different sites.

Cheers

Taipei, Taiwan
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Hi Tracy,

Did you eventually travel around Myanmar with a meditation visa? I'm going to Myanmar to meditate in November and I face the same problem, so if you have the latest information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

Same here.. lots of information and making more and more confuse.... I also want to go and volunteer...if folks here have information about:

a) Is it possible to stay and free food at volunteer place with or without sponsor letter?

b) I am in India; is it possible to get visa on arrival by surface route at border check post;

c) or to get visa in advance from Delhi embassy, travel by train/road and get immigration stamp at border check post??

e) How much is it safe to travel there now; I want to choose remote locations, is it safe for an Indian passport holders??

I am planning to leave this month end and almost ready to apply for Visa here in Delhi... anyone possess any info about ??

Roving.Viren

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

b. No VOA

c.Get your Visa in New Delhi

d.forget land crossing,the only sensible way to enter from India is by flying and from India it is not cheap

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294190-i9408-k7…

New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I travel around with a meditation visa?

@ silverswimmer - Thanks for the useful information; I also checked air fair and they look like pocket ripper :-) seems they do not like backpackers hence, already dropped and looking for new options... thanks anyway..