We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Boston...
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Yangon airport had an ATM right outside of customs where we used a US debit card (pre-notified our bank that we were going to Myanmar) to withdraw 300,000 kyat ($306 us). It gave us about a half-inch worth of 5,000 kyat bills. There was no line. I would expect that the atms run out of kyat thouh, since only a few hundred withdrawals would dispense a stack tsller thsn the machine!

We also changed us$ for kyat at one of several money changers, all ofering a rate less than .5 % off of the bank rate (980 or 981 per $, bank rate 985.5 - great exchange rate!). I used new latest edition us$100 bills, which had two lengthwise creases (folded to fit in a belt ) and had folded edges but were otherwise new. They only examined them a bit and worked the edge creases before taking them no problem.

I have seen a bunch of money changers throughout yangon but havent yet used them, though their rates were nearly as good- 978-979 per us$. Worse rate on smaller bills - common occurance. I expect they will be more scrupulous about the quality of the bills. I gave a crappy $10 to a duty-free person on the way out of the airport (decent cheap wine - the booze is abt the same price as we've seen in stores in Yangon but we dont see much decent wine) who rejected it because it had a small tear, and then i gave her a mediocre $20 which she accepted, giving me as change the most crisp $1's I've ever seen.

I think the era of crap exchange rates and sketchy back-alley deals for better ones is over for now, at least in yangon. I'm less clear about the relative scrutiny of bill quality. But keep bringing crisp bills for now.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Useful stuff,many thanks

SS

Mesa, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Hi, Thank you for your post, it is helpful!

My question is about the US Currency namely, the (what they call) "Big-Head" money.

I have been told that I must order Cash from the Federal Reserve Bank to get New Bills of

various denominations. In the case of the US $100 bill there are two types of "Big-Head notes,

the GREEN Big-Head and the New Blue Big-Head(Hi-security, striped) Notes.

Do you know which one they accept (Require)? Thanks in advance for any help that you

can give me. Regards

Bill

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Only $100 bills pre 2006 (small head?) are never accepted.

Bills currently in circulation,post 2006 and the new one introduced last year, are accepted but have to be in pristine condition (not necessarily new) with no rips,folds or marks.

bristol uk
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

interesting to read.I arrive into Yangon next Tues.Ive got my crisp and after 2006 dollars notes.I was in Myanmar last Sept/Oct last year 2013 for 3 weeks.Have you tried any of the other cash machines in the city.Last time i changed my money at a official changer on the main road about 200 yds down from the Sule Pagoda towards the river on the rite hand side.Do you get a better rate if i go to a bank,if so where are the main banks,i be in the railway station area first up to see about train times.Sounds as tho each day they seem to be getting a bit more leniant with money conditions ect.

London, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Does anyone know about the rates at Mandalay airport? This will be my first stop. Any insight on where to change would be appreciated.

I will find out and certainly hope they accept the blue ones! - ordered from one of the UK based online currency exchanges Silverswimmer recommended and they are brand new and excellent customer service. They are dated 2009.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,154 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

Rates are virtually identical at the Bank branches at airports.Looks like current rates are circa 985 to the $ and, that,combined with the recent strong £ to $ rate is good news for UK travellers. I can remember 700 to the $ some years ago.

SS

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
1,253 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

useful info

thanks bro

8. Re: Report: Money changing and atms at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:18