We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter visit to Korea for family

Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Winter visit to Korea for family

We are planning a visit in mid December for our family of 12, from 2 years old to 70 years old. Have read almost all postings on this forum but they are mostly about Seoul. We intend to visit Seoul, of course, and try some skiing. Could someone help with my questions :

1. would December be too cold for the young and old in my group? We are keen to experience snow fall but at the same time, quite worried whether the youngest & oldest can take the low temperature?

2. would the mountains be too cold at this time of the year?

3. are there any other places in Korea (not just Seoul) that I should include in my itinerary?

4. would the sights in Jeju be similar to Nami Island?

Would appreciate information from anyone.

Mentioned in this post
December Hotel Jeju
December Hotel Jeju
272 Reviews
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Nami Island
Nami Island
1,450 Reviews
Chuncheon, South Korea
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter visit to Korea for family

Hi,

Glad to hear you're planning a trip to Korea.

1. December is not as cold as it used to be here in Korea (it's getting warmer each year which is a little sad and scary) but to people who are not used to the cold at all, it might be a bit overwhelming.

But if you're dressed well, and don't stay out in the cold for too long, inside of the buildings and buses are well-heated and you won't have too much trouble.

The coldest time in Korea is in January when we get the most snow as well, so December should be ok. Especially if it's mid-Dec. (Just dress your young and the elderly warm.)

2. Dec is great for skiing, as there are not as many people on the slopes as in Jan/Feb, but it is winter, so it can get pretty chilly. But all the exercise from skiing will bring your temperature up, and most resorts have hot saunas with them, so it should be ok.

3. Well, it really depends on how long you're staying in Korea. If you're intending to ski, you will be spending quite a bit of time, going back and forth to the resorts which are all outside of Seoul.

If you have children with you, Everland (just outside of Seoul) is the biggest amusement park in Korea which is quite enjoyable for adults and kids.

4. Actually, I'm not sure the two are comparable. ^^

Nami Island is just a small, (tiny?) island in the middle of river not very far from Seoul. (1and half hours drive, 15 minutes on the boat)

It's beautiful in winter with all the trees covered in snow, and the ice sculptures they have for display during winter.

Jeju, on the other hand, is a big island off the southern coast of the peninsula. You have to fly to get there (1 hr from Seoul) and most people stay there for at least 2/3 days to see everything.

It's definitely a bit warmer that Seoul, so if you're worried about the cold, you may consider putting it in your itinerary.

I hope I've been of some help! ^^

Mentioned in this post
December Hotel Jeju
December Hotel Jeju
272 Reviews
Jeju Island, South Korea
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Everland
Everland
1,504 Reviews
Yongin, South Korea
Nami Island
Nami Island
1,450 Reviews
Chuncheon, South Korea
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
2. Re: Winter visit to Korea for family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 10:17