We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toiletries in Hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Toiletries in Hotels

Dear fellow travelers,

As we will be going to Korea with my elderly mum this October, we have opted for the ease and comfort of a group tour.(YUCKS!! I KNOW)

However, when we went for the briefing, certain information given by the agency shocked me :- Hotels in Korea DO NOT PROVIDE TOILETRIES!!!!????Neither do they have kettles in room??

The thing is, we were persuaded into paying for a so called deluxe tour package promising 5-star accommodations so it came as a rather unexpected discovery.

I just feel i need some clarification and assurance from fellow travelers in the forum here, so please for those who have been to South Korea, could you kindly let me know if that information is true? Do they really not provide any toiletries on top of the lack of kettles in the rooms??

Hmmm... somehow it just confirm my feeling that travel agencies complicates matters....

Thanks a million in advance.

Jac

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

name some hotels or locations- I've stayed in plenty of hotels in Korea. Some do, others don't.

However those that don't have toiletries have soap (of course)

As for kettles, often they do, but then give you strange things to drink.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

Dear ethelman2,

thanks for your prompt response. The agency refused to give us a full list of hotels other than Jeju Lotte as it is one of the attractions.For that hotel we were told they provide espresso machine sans the coffee beans......so was told to bring our own beans.

We were advise to bring all toiletries and our own travel kettle. the kettle especially is a concern as my mum needs her hot cup of tea 1st thing in the morning.

Usually if its just the husband and I all we need will be bed and bathroom when traveling....

Jac

singapore
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

oh did not realise that some hotels do not provide toiletries.

Must check on those hotels i'm staying as I'm backpacking and was not thinking of bringing any shower or shampoo.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,101 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

few hotels provide shower gel; this is not just Korea but manu countries. Always surprises me that in US motel chains even dear ones) don't.

Out of Seoul I've only ever found green tea and coffee powder if there's a kettle. So if you're after tea with milk, it's worthwhile taking a kettle, tea and milk powder.

If you go to Gyeongju, Kolon Hotel (aptly named in my view) doesn't, I think, provide a kettle. Hyundai and Hilton do.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

thanks ethelman2 once again for your insight.

Yes I was thinking of steaming strong black tea with milk where possible hahaha.

Alright now, at least we know what to expect then.

When we travel to countries other than Asia, the husband and I tend to go for hostels/Guest Houses and some how do not expect provision of kettle/toiletries at all. As for hotels in Asia, we noted that for those above 3 stars do have kettle and toiletries so it came as a surprise this time round. Well, not going to let small matter as such affect our trip, so we still intend to make the most of it and as you suggest bring our own provisions. :)

Thanks

Jac

6. Re: Toiletries in Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 05:17