We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KORAIL: Scenic routes

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Topic
KORAIL: Scenic routes

I have purchased a KORAIL Pass and naturally intend to travel on KTX from Seoul to Pusan.

Apart from the high speed route, what train lines in South Korea are particularly scenic?

I am thinking of travelling to Pohang and then trying to return to Seoul via secondary rail routes in the centre of the country, and deciding in the limited time that I have available not to visit Mokpo in the southwest.

Are there any branch lines that are especially scenic? It does not matter if the train trundles along at an average speed of 65kmh or so.

It seems difficult to plan detailed trips using KORAIL's English language Internet site version, as even when I select 'transfer' from the drop down menus, many journeys come back as 'no trains operating' or similar. This may be a programming bug, as I imagine that most lines have reasonable frequencies of trains.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KORAIL: Scenic routes

Welcome to Korea..

I think you may be misled by maps of old now closed lines. The Korail map

…korail.go.kr/2003/…f_info_006.html

is the only worthwhile one. Is that where you loked?

Several routes that used to exist do not do so any longer and indeed some are hiking trails or even rail bike lines. Korea is generally quite scenic, even if the scenery is not hugely varied. The line from Gyeongju to Dongdaegu is very pleasant.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: KORAIL: Scenic routes

I recommend you to try Jungang line. It runs from Cheongnyangni(or Cheongryangri) station in Seoul to Bujeon in Busan via Gyeongju. It passes along the Han river, lots of moutain side and Andong. Might be scenic for you.

Check some of pictures of the line in 29 blogs.(Korean but you can enjoy lots of pictures. Not only one page you got to check all 29 pages)

http://blog.naver.com/co0977/10035717033

The schedule of the line.

korail.com/servlets/…

Reservation

www.korail.com/en/rv/pr21100/w_pr21110.jsp

I hope this help your trip. Any question welcomed.

Edited: 31 March 2010, 16:24
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,104 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KORAIL: Scenic routes

Thank you to the above two TA contributors.

The KORail pass is a great bargain.

Having completed my trip, I found the section of line from Busan to Sucheon (which connects to Yeosu) the most scenic of those on which I travelled.

It was easy to travel by rail in South Korea: the booking office staff were pleasant and efficient, the on-train staff courteous, the trains and stations clean, the trains pleasant and almost all on time to the minute and the KTX 300 kmh expresses amazing.

Most trains were well used which is pleasing.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: KORAIL: Scenic routes

Good job!

I am happy to hear that you had great time in Korea..

5. Re: KORAIL: Scenic routes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 05:17