We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seoul kyoto tokyo

3 posts
Save Topic
seoul kyoto tokyo

I will have a trip starting from seoul ending at tokyo for 11 days excluding the day of flights from/to home. From seoul to kyoto, I will take train to busan, ferry to japan coast, and train to kyoto. This will take a day in total, so I have 10 full days. How many days do you think I should spend in each city ?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

what is your interest in the places?

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

Not too much into museums but I like to see a few historical places -palace, temple etc- and parks/gardens, and the usual city life in remaining time.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

Is there any reason that you like to take a ferry and train? I believe airplane is much cheaper and faster. It takes only 2 hours flight. You don't lose time for going.

Please check Korean Air, Asiana, JAL, ANA, Delta, and United website.

Also, LCC carriers named Jeju Air and Easter Jet.

http://www.jejuair.net/

www.eastarjet.com/book/index.htm?lang=en

Jeju Air flies to Nagoya, too. Nagoya is located between Kyoto and Tokyo.

If you would like to save time, make open-jaw tickets. For example, the route of "Seoul -- Kansai Airport (Osaka) -- train to Kyoto -- Shinkansen to Tokyo -- Haneda Airport (Tokyo) -- Seoul " is the best.

Train to Kyoto / Tokyo from Fukuoka is very far. People usually fly the route in Japan. Betwenen Kyoto and Tokyo, it takes 2 hour or so by Sinkansen. I would like to say that train travel include Shinkansen in Japan is expensive.

Are you sure that you want to go to both Japan and South Korea in you one same trip?

Where do you originally start to travel? If you don't live in S.Korea and come from other country, take a Korean Air or Asiana. You can stop-over in Seoul (it is free or small fee) and make a last destination to Tokyo.

Edited: 03 August 2011, 08:54
Mentioned in this post
Jeju
Jeju
Jeju Island, South Korea
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka
Fukuoka
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

Thanks for your long reply. Choosing boat is just for fun, also to have some train trips. I also consider flights but I think I wil try boat. I chose both countries because it will be hard to come other time. I dont live in korea or nearby, I will fly to seoul. So I am thinking like, stay 2-4 days in seoul, then spend a day to go to busan and then to japan and kyoto. Then stay like 3-5 days in kyoto and 3-5 days in tokyo. My return flight is from tokyo. I cant decide how many days to spend in each city.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

As you like to try boat, so I can understand your route.

I just came back from my 6 days Seoul trip. I went to Suwon to see traditional performances. I started to early and back to Seoul hotel very late. To see and shopping in Seoul, you may need at least 3 full days. www.visitseoul.net/en/index.do?_method=main

Kyoto needs for 3 days. If you like to go Nara, Osaka, Kobe, it adds more.

Tokyo needs 4-5 days plus 2-3 days if you like to go to Hakone (Mt. Fuji) , Kamakura, Nikko (World Heritage), and/or two Disneylands. Lots of people say that they can't get well to see in a short time.

You will lose a day time for just a transportation. Your train trip by Shinkansen takes long time. It takes 6-7 hours to go to Tokyo from Hakata, where your boat is reached. To Kyoto is about 3 hours. Check the time table by Hypermedia. http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

You need to buy a JR Pass to get a deep discount for JR trains. You can't buy in Japan. Shinkansen trains have several kinds. Note that a JR pass holder can't allow to ride Nozomi, take by a bit slower Hikari instead.

You reach HAKATA bay by boat. Fukuoka/Hakata/Nagasaki in Kysyu region are also Japanese favorite trip destinations.

This is tourism official webpages.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/

http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/

If you like to ask about Japan, please post Japan forum. There are lots of discussions.

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Suwon
Suwon
Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Kobe
Kobe
Hyogo Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Kamakura
Kamakura
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
Fukuoka
Fukuoka
Fukuoka Prefecture, Japan
Nagasaki
Nagasaki
Nagasaki Prefecture, Japan
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

Hi there best place i went to in Seoul and i always recommend it is the Korean Folk Village. Its a great day out and there is plenty to do and see including shows and demonstrations. You will see how people lived many years ago. Check out the traditional korean wedding and the horse riding is spectacular. - it was stunning, etc. There is a huge open area just for eating with loads of really great food. Also recommend the day trip to the DMZ - its a big part of their history and if you want to understand it better this trip is really worthwhile. Try and do the full day tour which will take you to Panmunjeon. Kyoto is the most touristy and most stunning town out of the ones I saw and you should try and spend at least 3 days here. Also recommend hiroshima which in principle is doable as a day trip from both kyoto or osaka if you start early enough. Do spend at least a half day in Nara - the todaji temple is amazing, Osaka has less attractions but the castle and aquarium are worth a visit and you could easily do both from Kyoto, You could split the 10 days between kyoto and tokyo. Best day trips from tokyo are Nikko and Mt Fuji. One other recommendation which i enjoyed was a trip to koyasan and a night at a buddhist temple. Its a really authentic japanese experience right down to the very vegan meals ato getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the monks at prayer. This would take up an afternoon (to get there from kyoto or osaka) a night and then the morning to get back so you may be able to fit that in. Koyasan also has the largest buddhist cemetery in japan and its a real experience to walk through it at night.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Mentioned in this post
Seoul
Seoul
South Korea
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Nikko
Nikko
Tochigi Prefecture, Japan
7. Re: seoul kyoto tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:19