We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

I am going to be in Korea for a few days in December. I'd like to get a local SIM card there, as using roaming with my regular SIM card will be too expensive.

However, after I'm done in Korea, I'll be in Hong Kong for a few days too. Is there a specific SIM card I could get in Korea that would work in Hong Kong too and wouldn't be too expensive?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

What phone do you have? Who is your own phone system provider?

Korea uses a different phone system to rest of world called CDMA, and you will be very lucky if you can use your own phone there.

There are also other issues concerning legal allowability of use of an overseas phone.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

Hi ethelman2. Doesn't Korea also have at least one HSDPA carrier? According to Wikipedia, SK Telecom and KT both have HSDPA networks. If so, my phone could technically work there.

The carrier I use at home would be immaterial, as I don't want to use that same SIM card in Korea (or Hong Kong). I am specifically looking to just buy a SIM card in Korea when I arrive and use that there and if there is a specific carrier or deal I could get to allow me to use the same SIM in Hong Kong, that would be ideal.

Why would an overseas phone not be "legally allowable"? Are you telling me that you can't bring a phone into Korea and use it there or use it there with a local SIM card? That would be really weird.

NY
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

The reason you should check with your local carrier first is to try to find out if your specific phone technology can be used in these locations. In Korea I believe it is still difficult for a non Korean citizen to buy, rent a phone for local use or even a SIM card (not saying it can't be done, but understand there is a lot of paperwork and waiting involved)

On the other hand, I have a CDMA phone that can be updated by my carrier to use in Korea (not all CDMA phones can) with international roaming, but in that case my phone is well identified to me. Korea may also have some GSM phone service now.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

So, basically, you're saying: "Don't bother, it's too much hassle."

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

Why would an overseas phone not be "legally allowable"? Are you telling me that you can't bring a phone into Korea and use it there or use it there with a local SIM card? That would be really weird.

Yes. I am saying exactly that.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

Just out of interest's sake, do you know what the reason would be for such a strange law?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,165 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

purely certification issues, I think.

Dongducheon...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

It's all a matter of profit and national security. Having lived here in South Korea for 6 months, I have tried to figure out how to make my AT&T iPhone 4 work while stationed here on the local networks with no success. I was able to get International Roaming, but only used it for emergencies as the rate was ridiculous! The reasons why you can't just go buy a SIM Card for a local provider are two-fold... First, Korea has a huge electronics market (Samsung, LG...). They want you to buy locally. By the way, it's cheaper to buy Korean made products in the US, than it is to buy them in Korean! The other factor is South Korea is still a nation technically a war. Thus, the government maintains tight reign on it's communications systems.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

I just didn't use a phone while I was there for the week, in the end. Surprisingly feasible thing to do.

10. Re: SIM card for Korea and Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 07:16