We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble getting cash from ATM

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble getting cash from ATM

Help, please!

I'm staying in Yong In, outside Seoul. I've tried using my American Bank of American card at several Korean bank ATM's to get cash and have not been successful. The cards work for purchases as I informed the bank that I was traveling. Any suggestions.

Likely To Sell Out
DMZ and JSA Panmunjom Tour from Seoul
278 reviews
from US$134.90*
Best Seller
Half-Day Korean DMZ Tour from Seoul
110 reviews
from US$45.50*
Full-Day Essential Seoul Tour
48 reviews
from US$95.00*
Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ...
65 reviews
from US$44.00*
Daejeon, South Korea
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Try the blue and white 365 ATMS you see in subway stations/Emart - they're the only ones that will accept my (UK) cards.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

When did you use ATM? Because some ATM machines doesn't work at midnight. e.g from 11 PM to 5 AM. I think you can try ATMs where there are located at subway stations.

Boston
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Thank you! I will try the 365 ATM and the one in the subway station. I was amazed to find that the other ATM's don't work with foreign cards. Never had this problem in Europe!! Also, my guide book (Frommer's) said that citibank, Korea exchange bank and Shinhan bank ATM's may work. Shinhan's didn't work for me. So we'll see if any of the others work. I haven't seen any so-called Cash Dispenser machines out here in YongIn. Maybe there only downtown in Seoul. Thanks again...

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

In order to withdraw money from an ATM in Korea, you must use an ATM machine that says Global Service and the Visa, Mastercard and other credit card logos.

Have you checked the ATMs had such a logos?

Usually there are 1 or 2 Global ATMs at the bank in Seoul.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Hi, JaneinBoston. I'll be in Seoul this month and am planning on using my Bank of America card at the ATMs. Were you able to withdraw cash after all?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Hi

I had this problem in Oct 09 in Seoul. In the end, found that if I used Citibank ATM was okay. BUT ATM was inside the bank. Then I had trouble on the weekend to get cash the when bank was closed. Solved it ATM outside Citibank, central location, Korean Visitor Tourism Organisation, start pf the stream. Hope this helps

DCtheKiwi

Seoul, South Korea
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

When in Doubt use the Small ATMs you find in Stores and Subway stations. Although sometimes they only work for Out of Country Visa cards.

Have enough money to tide you over and just try everyone you see. It's really hit and miss.

The 365 ATM and the Hana Bank ones usually work. Just keep trying

Rob

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Thanks for the help! Was able to use the cash dispenser machine at the airport (next to currency-exchange booths) and an ATM at Woori bank. Was charged a 1% transaction fee both times plus a $15 non-Bank of America ATM fee (just once - so far - so I don't know if it applies to the airport CD or the Woori ATM). Hope this information helps future Seoul visitors!

california
Level Contributor
20 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

I have no problem withdrawing money multiple times using my BoA ATM card. (I am currently in Seoul and will be for another few days). As others have said, you need to get to an ATM machine that will accept forign cards. Most in the airport do, as do most Citibank machines around town.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trouble getting cash from ATM

Also, try to go to a bank that has a wall of like 4-8 ATMs (or more). Usually, only 1 of them will be a global ATM, I've found in my experience. Rather than trying each one until you find it, look for the Korean writing above each that's unique from the rest of them (I can't read Korean). The unique one's usually the global one. I used my BoA debit card there in Seoul (in Jong-no) a few weeks ago.